Country Music
May 23, 2006 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 407

miTunes75

100+ Head-Fier
I have not been a real fan of country music. There's only a few artists that I'll actually listen to: Garth Brooks, Tim McGraw, Carrie Underwood and ... Dixie Chicks.

Wow - what an album they put out! Good for them! They came back and I think they're stonger than ever! I'm also glad that although what happened happened a couple of years ago... they still have not changed their opinions and are sticking by them... good for you!!!

But, I forgot my ipod today so I was stuck listening to the radio on the way home from work tonight. I had the radio on scan and rolling my eyes as station, by station, went by and didn't really find anything i was interested in. Then... a good ole garth song was playing on one station; song entitled "The River". I don't know what it is, but listening to that song again (which I haven't listened to in quite a few years now) has sparked an interest in Country Music again.

Any other country music fans??

May 23, 2006 at 8:21 AM Post #2 of 407
Oh yes.

But I've been more into the other subgenres. I like bluegrass/folk, classic country as well as the newer alt.country/y'allternative scene. Good stuff. If you like country, it's worth checking this stuff out.

Also, have to get in a plug for a good friend here. If you're in Los Angeles, tune into KCSN 88.5 FM Saturday mornings at 10:00 A.M., for Cowboy Nick's show, "Twang." KCSN also streams his show at:

http://www.kcsn.org

and you can find Cowboy Nick's blog here:

http://www.cowboynick.blogspot.com/

If you're outside of the area, KCSN streams his show over the Internet. It's great. Cowboy Nick and I work at the same place. He's a great guy and extremely knowledgeable about the music. Give him a listen if you can.

May 23, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #4 of 407
Love Country!

Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley, and Sara Evans are a few of my favs and I highly recommend them if your not familiar with them. I like some Bluegrass too... Alison Krauss is great and Rhonda Vincent just released a new one today that sounds promising... you can check it out on CMT I believe.

May 23, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #5 of 407
I also like country music.At first I kinda ignored it but then I heard leann rimes and liked her and she got me hooked onto country music.I also like carrie underwood and sara evans.Ia lso like miranda lambert,shelly fairchild,shedaisy and a bunch of others.

May 23, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #7 of 407
I love female vocals, and some of the best are in modern country music. (BTW, I cannot stand old, traditional country music).

Martina McBride and Sarah Evans are 2 favorites. Martina is very good live also. I brought my daughter to see her when she was about 12, and she handed Martina a note (we were front/center). She sent her a personal reply by mail. It could have been written by an assistant or something, but it seemed genuine and certainly made my daughter's day.

Shania was also a very good live performer.

May 24, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #8 of 407
I love Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson, does that count? I currently live with my mother, and when she is ever alone she cranks Trisha Earwood(spelling), Brookes, a song called "I love NASCAR", and other country favorites. I don't really like modern country.

P.S.
Country is probably the most hated "mainstream" genre.

May 24, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #10 of 407
Well Country -> Folk -> Folk Metal -> All Metal..

It all works out
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #11 of 407
I've always liked Cash, Jennings, Williams (NOT Jr.) and others. Also bluegrass and gospel bluegrass is awesome. The alt. country sounds like it might be promising. Any suggestions? I saw an interview with Hank Williams III on a documentary about Sr. Anyone heard his?

99% of modern mainstream country music sounds like it was written by and for women - sappy effeminate crap. Contrast with Waylon Jennings who would slit your throat for half a pack of smokes. How can you not like listening to someone like that?
580smile.gif

May 25, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #12 of 407
Quote:

Originally Posted by seantx
99% of modern mainstream country music sounds like ..... crap .....

Drum machine + Mr.Bigg's guitar player + manic violin + screeching vocalist (must have faux Texas drawl) = 99% of all country. My god.... And the person who rhymed 'Honky-Tonk' with 'Badonkadonk' deserves to have his testicles kicked back into his torso by 10,000 5th grade English teachers. Not that anyone alive can even say what Honky Tonk is anymore (an idea as diluted & misunderstood as the chopper).

I did almost hear a great song (Bad Things by Jace Everett), but then he (they? is there a one world government cabal in charge of ruining country music too?) ruined it with his fake accent. Also, if they changed the lyric "I wanna do bad things with you" to "I wanna do bad thing to you" it could have been a truely great dive-bar anthem. But he came close and bailed at the last minute.
frown.gif

May 25, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #13 of 407
Good Country is great. Bad country is everywhere.

Brad Paisley, Allison Krauss and Union Station, Hank I, II, and III, Waylon and Shooter Jennings, Cash, Beth Orton, Lucinda Williams, Elvis Costello (his country albums anyway), Cowboy Junkies, Jayhawks.....

The good country is great, but this genre may be more deluged with total crap than any other genre. Well, maybe hip hop beats it, I don't really know.

May 25, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #14 of 407
I've been known to listen to some country on occasion. Heck, I've even listened to some western also.
icon10.gif

I still like Johnny Paycheck's stuff. Good bar songs.
Waylon is another favorite.
I recently picked up a CD by Sugarland. I like most of it. I got a couple Gretchen Wilson CDs but she doesn't have much staying power with me.
Alan Jackson has some songs I like. I like his voice, but don't care for most of his music. Lucinda Williams is the only female in country (and not entirely country) that I truly love to hear. Her voice melts my heart.

A lot of the new country sounds like "classic rock" to me. Except not as good.

Honky Tonk Badonkabonk is a funny video. I don't think I would want to just listen to it though.

May 25, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #15 of 407
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
Love Country!

Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley, and Sara Evans are a few of my favs and I highly recommend them if your not familiar with them. I like some Bluegrass too... Alison Krauss is great and Rhonda Vincent just released a new one today that sounds promising... you can check it out on CMT I believe.

Just saw Brad Paisley and Sara Evans in concert a few weeks back and Alison Krauss a few weeks before that. Good stuff, I had no idea what a fantastic guitar player Brad is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back