Could use some help on new purchase
May 7, 2013 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

edwelly

New Head-Fier
Hello all. I have been reading for days on this site and I am really struggling with a new purchase. I have owned a pair on cheap Sennheisers (can’t find them at the moment), a pair of Bose AE2 and a pair of B&W P3. I returned the Bose and bought the B&W P3 and then returned the P3s as I just could not get over the sound of the B&W P5s.  But at the time I couldn’t justify the extra $$$. So here I am – trying to figure out what I want to buy and having a lot of trouble because I am now looking at Grado as well. There are no dealers in my town (Louisville, KY) so if I choose a Grado product; it will be based on what I read here. I have no way of hearing the Grado sound.

The B&W P3s had a really nice sound but when compared to the P5s, it felt like the P5s just opened this new world to me. The soundstage was warm and inviting and I loved it. The P3s sounded great and made me want to bob my head. The P5s made me want to dance and be immersed in the music. So now I am thinking about the Grado SR125i and SR225is and I am reading so many positive reviews on these head phones that I am struggling to pull the trigger on the P5s. For me $300 on a pair of head phones is a large amount of money.

So I ask you – if you have heard the B&W P5s, how would they compare in sound to the Grado SR125i and or SR225i? This will be used in my home office connected to a PC for now. Will add a USB amp very soon.  Oh and I HATED the sound of Beats.

Thank you for your time~ Erik

May 7, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 14
Did you try the Grado dealers listed on their site for KY?

CUSTOM THEATER DESIGNS
502-245-1676
LOUISVILLE
KY

MUSICAL IMAGES OF KENTUCKY
502-339-9000
LOUISVILLE
KY

May 7, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 14
Might I recommend something else? I have the sr80i (not too qualified), but I strongly recommend the ATH WS99. I like much more than my sr80is, MDR 1r,fidelio l1 tiny bit more than ma900, lot more than k167, dt770. People around here are saying that the 1rs are much better than those p5s. Just read the ws99 thread and you'll probably end up buying them.

If your looking open these ma900s sound beautiful.

May 7, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 14
Grados are gonna sound the opposite of the p5 and i dont think you'll like the sound it has recessed sub bass and more treble while the p5 is darker bass heavy and less treble.

May 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 14
Really? I just don't hear that. When I think of bass heavy phones I think of beats. Hmmm... Maybe I am one of the masses out there. God I hope not.

The only place I ham familiar with in Louisville is the Beat Buy Magnolia section. Can anyone recommend a head phone there that might sound like the Grado line?

Thanks everyone

May 7, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 14
Why so interested in grado? The p5s are known for being soft and warm; more laid back, comfort while grado is the exact polar opposite. The ws99's are absolutely wonderful.

May 7, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #8 of 14
Yep if i called the p5 bass heavy. Could you imagine how bass light the grados are? just look at the frequency response charts... For grados a lot of people don't like them but the few that do really swear by them. I burrowed some sr60 from a friend and I didnt like them while i let him burrow my sennheiser hd 518. He ends up buying an hd 558 later lol.

Really? I just don't hear that. When I think of bass heavy phones I think of beats. Hmmm... Maybe I am one of the masses out there. God I hope not.

The only place I ham familiar with in Louisville is the Beat Buy Magnolia section. Can anyone recommend a head phone there that might sound like the Grado line?

Thanks everyone

May 7, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #12 of 14
If you read the active thread here on head-fi, I'm sure you'll be convinced. Read a little bit earlier though.

PM Max134 and DannyBai, especially DannyBai. He has the momentums, MDR 1rs, l1s, ws99, and m100, and he prefers the ws99s to all of them.

May 7, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #13 of 14
If you read the active thread here on head-fi, I'm sure you'll be convinced. Read a little bit earlier though.

PM Max134 and DannyBai, especially DannyBai. He has the momentums, MDR 1rs, l1s, ws99, and m100, and he prefers the ws99s to all of them.
Thanks for your help. I bought the WS99 and a FIIO E7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back