Could something I read on Head-Fi actually be Urban Legend?
Aug 24, 2009 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Justin Uthadude

500+ Head-Fier
I got a pair of Grado SR60s. They aren’t uncomfortable at all.
The sound improved noticeably with the addition of an amplifier.
Smooth jazz sounds very nice on these “rock” headphones.
Next thing you know, bass will actually come out of the K501s I’m considering.
To paraphrase Kenny Loggins, “what’s a fool to believe?”

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 25
I've always felt that Grados were rather comfortable, but what works for one is not always true for the masses. That's why people often advocate for others to attend meets, so they can form their own opinions.

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 25
No, impossible, Head-Fi is the absolute truth
evil_smiley.gif

but yes the Grado's can be quite comfortable if you get used to it. No problems here. It is mostly mentioned because a lot of people do have problems with it, and I can understand why.
I think the bass-light thing also is often overblown. Most of it really is personal. SR125 bass took some time to appear but was pretty good and I was worried the HE60's would have no bass, but it's actually great quality if a little low on presence. It does come up if it is on the record.
These things are always 'light on bass' while forgetting to put a measure like 'compared to a D5000'
Take everything with a grain of salt and put it in perspective of other owned/heared equipment and you'll do fine in getting an impression on how things might sound.

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darksyde /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If that's what your ears tell you, then what does it matter what we say? The most important opinion to you is yours, so, as we like to say on Head-Fi, to each his own.

Thank you darksyde. While my post was meant to be tongue in cheek, I have decided to do just that. I 've chosen the slow path to nirvana so I can find out what my ears like best. Hopefully, I'll get a few more "ah-has" along the way. I've just bought a used millet hybrid off the for sale forum to hear the "warm and syrupy" sound.

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Uthadude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you darksyde. While my post was meant to be tongue in cheek, I have decided to do just that. I 've chosen the slow path to nirvana so I can find out what my ears like best. Hopefully, I'll get a few more "ah-has" along the way. I've just bought a used millet hybrid off the for sale forum to hear the "warm and syrupy" sound.

Glad I could help
biggrin.gif

Being a proud Grado owner myself, I have found my 225i's to be very comfortable, and sound great with jazz (Steely Dan sounds great on them, IMO). The only genre that I have found doesn't sound good on them is pop, but once again, that could just be me.

Anyways, I think that something all of us on Head-Fi should remember is that it's not always about getting the best sound. Sometimes we should just get lost in the music, and enjoy. Doing this also helps stave off that nasty upgraditis, too!

Mark

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think anyone really considers the SR60 or any Grado with the comfy pads that uncomfortable. It's bowl pads that folks have a problem with.

+1.

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #10 of 25
Personal preference!
wink.gif

The SR60 may sound great to some, while mediocre or horrible to others. The same goes for wearing comfort.

What matters is what you think of them.

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #11 of 25
Krmathis-
Actually, I was just using SR60s as an example because I have a pair. I was really marveling at how some audio gear seems to have a reputation that precedes it, much like telescope eyepieces do on an astronomy website I frequent. Someone will say, “that eyepiece is especially good for viewing the Orion Nebula… but I’ve never looked through it.” I love it. It makes me want to get one just to see if it’s true. I’m too new and ignorant to have upgraditis yet, I still have tryitout-itis.
Robin
P.S. How many pairs of Stax do you own anyway?

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #12 of 25
^ Yeah, and so did I. What I posted may apply to most headphones out there...

Currently own two Stax headphones, the SR-007BL and SR-404. But I have previously owned six more, which I have parted with during the last year'ish.

Aug 27, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #14 of 25
My grado sr60s are the comfiest headphones I own. I still have adjusted to IEMs and the ES7's are just plain fatiguing. And I think the bass in the sr60 is perfectly adequate. I also like classical through the sr60s and i've never heard anyone mention using grados for classical. just a thought.

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #15 of 25
My SR225is will always be less comfortable than the HD650s to me. Even with comflies and flats, they just don't work for me. But, sometimes you crave that fast, rocking style and put up with it for an hour or two!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back