Could something I read on Head-Fi actually be Urban Legend?
Aug 27, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #16 of 25

sunneebear

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 29, 2002
Posts
1,626
Likes
156
I have tried Grados three times. Destroyed two sr60s trying to make them comfortable. No pads or mods on the internet has made them comfortable for me.

Since all humans have the same two ears, I think that you Sir, are a liar and you are trying to start a urban legend on this forum.
gs1000.gif
 
Aug 27, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #17 of 25

jnewman

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 9, 2004
Posts
443
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Uthadude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Next thing you know, bass will actually come out of the K501s I’m considering.


Good news - bass comes out of K501s.
smily_headphones1.gif

Not at head-thumping levels, but it's there.
 
Aug 27, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #18 of 25

Justin Uthadude

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 26, 2009
Posts
652
Likes
14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnewman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good news - bass comes out of K501s.
smily_headphones1.gif

Not at head-thumping levels, but it's there.



Now I get it. It's a plot to get us newbies to buy your stuff off the for sale forum, so you can buy more....
now that's genius.....
 
Aug 27, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #19 of 25

progo

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 14, 2007
Posts
1,592
Likes
14
Well you can't treat opinions as a fact. If someone says that the pair of headphones have decent bass, it might be more or less what you'd think as "decent".
 
Aug 27, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #20 of 25

sampson_smith

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 2, 2009
Posts
2,786
Likes
22
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think anyone really considers the SR60 or any Grado with the comfy pads that uncomfortable. It's bowl pads that folks have a problem with.


My SR-325is's with reasonably well-used bowl pads are very comfortable. And my, with this combo, are they ever lookers! Beautiful cans. Reverse quarter-mod'ed HD414 pads are extremely comfortable. Strange to me how often Grados are said to be precisely the opposite, when it comes to comfort. It's no sweat with open phones like these that allow the ears to breathe. Closed cans with sticky pleather... ugggh!
 
Aug 27, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #21 of 25

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
Joined
Mar 18, 2006
Posts
22,596
Likes
512
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnewman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good news - bass comes out of K501s.
smily_headphones1.gif

Not at head-thumping levels, but it's there.



Yes, it is there. Awhile back, someone did frequency sweeps of the K-501. Not only is there bass, but it goes surprisingly deep.

Just because it doesn't sound like a $29.99 PepBoys subwoofer rattling your trunklid, that doesn't mean it has "bad" bass.

This week, a story came out where a college professor had been testing his students' preference for sound. He'd play compressed MP3 tracks and other versions. Over the past six years, students began to prefer the thin, lossy and awful MP3 sound.

You get conditioned to particular sounds. Cheap, sloppy and horrible bass is one people have been conditioned to. If they don't hear the subwoofer making its own sound (they do that) or boomy box resonances, then the bass must be crap, right?

The funny thing is that if you play low notes on an acoustic instrument - like the bass clarinet I have - then listen to the same on the K-501, the K-501 sounds shockingly like an actual bass note. Though I've heard a lot of headphones and speakers that, somehow, add bass where it didn't exist in the first place.

I invite you to try the same yourself.

If you don't like it, that's fine. But don't go around spreading the "no bass" urban legend. Again, try listening to a real-life low note and see what a K501 sounds like.

Grado is a matter of personal preference. I've never had a comfort issue with them. The vast majority of people don't. The ones who do have comfort issues tend to be very vocal. You hear a lot more from them than from those of us who wear comfortably.

And amps do make a difference and there's terrific variation between them. If you want to learn more, I recommend visiting the DIY Forum. There are lots of technical reasons - all fully backed by science, measurements, real world tests, and listener experience. You might want to try building one - you'll learn a lot. Even a CMoy for $20 will help you understand what's going on.
 
Aug 27, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #22 of 25

lauinbeta

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Posts
175
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it is there. Awhile back, someone did frequency sweeps of the K-501. Not only is there bass, but it goes surprisingly deep.

Just because it doesn't sound like a $29.99 PepBoys subwoofer rattling your trunklid, that doesn't mean it has "bad" bass.

This week, a story came out where a college professor had been testing his students' preference for sound. He'd play compressed MP3 tracks and other versions. Over the past six years, students began to prefer the thin, lossy and awful MP3 sound.

You get conditioned to particular sounds. Cheap, sloppy and horrible bass is one people have been conditioned to. If they don't hear the subwoofer making its own sound (they do that) or boomy box resonances, then the bass must be crap, right?

The funny thing is that if you play low notes on an acoustic instrument - like the bass clarinet I have - then listen to the same on the K-501, the K-501 sounds shockingly like an actual bass note. Though I've heard a lot of headphones and speakers that, somehow, add bass where it didn't exist in the first place.

I invite you to try the same yourself.

If you don't like it, that's fine. But don't go around spreading the "no bass" urban legend. Again, try listening to a real-life low note and see what a K501 sounds like.

Grado is a matter of personal preference. I've never had a comfort issue with them. The vast majority of people don't. The ones who do have comfort issues tend to be very vocal. You hear a lot more from them than from those of us who wear comfortably.

And amps do make a difference and there's terrific variation between them. If you want to learn more, I recommend visiting the DIY Forum. There are lots of technical reasons - all fully backed by science, measurements, real world tests, and listener experience. You might want to try building one - you'll learn a lot. Even a CMoy for $20 will help you understand what's going on.



I totally agree.
 
Aug 27, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #24 of 25

moogoob

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 21, 2008
Posts
2,023
Likes
12
There is something to the "uncomfortable Grados" thing, in that when I first got them, my 325i goldies made my ears hurt to the point of having to take them off and massage my earlobe after 45 minutes. Now? I'm wearing them as I type, and can wear them for hours continuously. I don't advocate washing their pads as this makes them too soft. For my SR80s, though, I use washed pads as they don't weigh against your ears like the metal ones.
 
Aug 28, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #25 of 25

TopPop

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Posts
2,936
Likes
111
Location
London, UK
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think anyone really considers the SR60 or any Grado with the comfy pads that uncomfortable. It's bowl pads that folks have a problem with.


It's all about the specific person... I think bowls are actually more comfy than comfies.

Go figure.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top