Could someone give me a technical answer as to why Multiple DACs are better then a single DAC?
Jan 26, 2012 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DaggothReborn

Head-Fier
I understand more is generally better, but I'm looking at a new BluRay/SACD/CD/DVD etc player, and it has  FIVE Wolfson WM8740s... FIVE. Why would I want FIVE DACs??

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 3

Quote:
I understand more is generally better, but I'm looking at a new BluRay/SACD/CD/DVD etc player, and it has  FIVE Wolfson WM8740s... FIVE. Why would I want FIVE DACs??

Using the DACs in mono mode can in theory provide better channel separation (SNR, crosstalk etc.). 

In multi channel systems, you'd need enough DACs to drive each of the channels. Chances are each is being used in mono mode.

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #3 of 3
Another scenario is using multiple DAC chips for a single channel.

Running a single channel off multiple DAC chips also increases the voltage or current for that channel which can improve measurements, relative to running that channel off a single DAC chip. But there can be disadvantages as well, since you have multiple sources, with some level of physical separation and minute differences in the signal, being summed to create the single channel signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back