Could anybody recommend me a sub-$100 pair of portable, closed headphones?
post-7677871
Post #1 of 2

Rokuran

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm sure you get a lot folk like me breezing through here, so I'll try to keep it brief!

After almost a year of use, my Koss KSC-75s (stock) have finally perished. Now I'm in the market for some new budget 'phones, but would much prefer some decent on/overs ears as I can't stand the feeling of IEMs, buds never fit properly and clip designs look a bit funny :p I mainly want them for travel so decent isolation and portability are required. 

I've been hovering around a while looking at reviews and such, but I fear I've just wandered into a bit of a confusing maze. A lot of recommendations are older and I figured there might've been recent changes in prices/new headphones/etc. The Sennheiser PX200-IIs sound all right, but a lot of people have given them flak. I know AKG have quite a presence in this market but I'm really not sure how great they are at my price point/how they compare to the Sennheisers. The rather large (89 review) thread praises many pairs that I haven't seen discussed elsewhere. It's all a bit confusing/conflicting so I thought my best option would be to make a thread more specific to myself and see what more knowledgeable people have to say :p

I listen to quite a variety of music - rock, folk, dubstep, techno, electronica, metal, classical... I don't have a particular fondness for bass or anything, though I do like it to have some presence. If it's any use, I would like to have a bit more bass than the KSC-75s gave. I'm not too familiar with what people mean by terms like 'bright' and 'dark' and such, so I can't really state much preference in that regard.

Yes, essentially: decent closed, on/over ear headphones, good for a variety of music genres, portable, under $100. 

Thank you very much!

post-7677893
Post #2 of 2

ostewart

Reviewer at Sound Perfection Reviews
Reaction score
AKG K518 DJ sounds good for what you need.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)