Costco Wholesale's New Electronics Return Policy
Mar 22, 2007 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Ingo

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm an employee of Costco Wholesale so I knew about the policy changes, that went into effect at of the beginning of March, some time before the public did. Basically, we were getting ripped off so bad that they had to stop the bleeding (millions upon millions of dollars) even if it meant putting a light scratch on our "satisfaction guarentee".

Well, I was reading through the terms of purchase for electronics items today and noticed some things.

Quote:

This item is covered by Costco's guarantee to refund your purchase price if you are not completely satisfied. Costco's guarantee applies, even though this item may not be covered by the manufacturer's warranty, because Costco is not an "authorized" dealer of the merchandise.

^This is still listed in the terms for all electronics items.

Quote:

THE RETURN POLICY FOR TELEVISIONS, PROJECTORS, COMPUTERS, CAMERAS, CAMCORDERS, IPODS / MP3S, AND CELLULAR PHONES IS 90 DAYS FROM DATE OF PURCHASE.

^This is what's new. A 90 day return policy is still better than anywhere else.

And this next thing is VERY interesting.

Quote:

For COMPUTERS, TELEVISIONS and PROJECTORS, Costco extends the MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY to two years from date of purchase. Please call Costco Concierge Technical Support @ 1-866-861-0450 for warranty assistance.

eek.gif
Costco extends maufacturer warranties to two years, for FREE! That's a heck of a gesture to throw in, in the absense of our old policy!

It's so cool to work for a place that you can respect.

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #2 of 23
I heard rumors regarding these changes in policy late last year. Rumors had it that they were going to limit return dates but keep the computers policy almost the same. Well, the policy changes seem to be close to the rumors.

These changes in policy are reasonable, fair, and absolutely generous still. Costco has seriously upheld customer service like no other and I don't believe these policy changes will affect much. The return policy is still superb and the computer warranty policy is phenomenal. Kudos for Costco.

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't work for Costco, but I'm a very regular customer. I have very high respect for Costco, as the company. They know how to make win-win deals.

icon10.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #4 of 23
I love Costco and every purchase has been far beyond satisfactory. I'm sure they absolutely had to implement some policy changes but I'm just as sure they will still stand by purchases.

The only thing I don't care for are the seafood specials.

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

eek.gif
Costco extends maufacturer warranties to two years, for FREE! That's a heck of a gesture to throw in, in the absense of our old policy!

How long is the satisfaction guarantee in effect for? 90 days? Or two years? Or is the extended warranty thing like other stores where a unit is either serviced or replaced only if the unit is defective? I find extended warranties to be useless and a major hassle. At least the useless warranty extension is free.
rolleyes.gif

I prefer a flat out replacement plan over an extended warranty. But too many people were getting a free replacement plan on everything in the store.

-Ed

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 23
Thats still the best retailer guarantee of any brick/mortar in my area.

Costco is great. if other big retailers were half as customer conscience as Costco, they would stand a chance.

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long is the satisfaction guarantee in effect for? 90 days? Or two years? Or is the extended warranty thing like other stores where a unit is either serviced or replaced only if the unit is defective? I find extended warranties to be useless and a major hassle. At least the useless warranty extension is free.
rolleyes.gif

I prefer a flat out replacement plan over an extended warranty. But too many people were getting a free replacement plan on everything in the store.

-Ed

AFAIK, with the extended warranty, if the product is defective it will be handled by Costco and if it's out of warranty (manufacturer) it will be replaced.

To be quite honest, if someone made an issue of something at the returns counter 9 times out of 10 they will get whatever they want because that's how the managers are instructed to handle members.

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #8 of 23
Good info. Have to pass this along to a friend who just bought a 42" LCD HDTV from them. He was bragginng about the TV and the fact that he can take it back even in ten years.

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocHamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good info. Have to pass this along to a friend who just bought a 42" LCD HDTV from them. He was bragginng about the TV and the fact that he can take it back even in ten years.

If he bought it before March he most certainly can bring it back in ten years.

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

If he bought it before March he most certainly can bring it back in ten years.

costco here (don't know if they still do) did refunds without a receipt. My friend was considering bringing in his 5 year old tv which they still carried and try returning it.

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #11 of 23
Hmm...I'm glad that they finally made the realistic decision to stay in business rather than get eaten out alive with their old refund policies. They handled it quite well too. I shopped there tonight with my friend and that 90 day warranty on his $96.30 USD Norelco shaver is still a great value. Walmart wanted $147 for the same brand and model with a limited 14 day return policy. I bought my Samsung 23" LCD HDTV from Costco before the new policy went into effect, but I am inclined to buy a bigger plasma, DLP, or LCD HDTV from them including a new desktop computer and some other stuff in the future.

I hate paying for the privilege of deep discounts, but I would like to become a Costco member someday. At least the food is pretty decent on the cheap and all.

Mar 22, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #13 of 23
I'm glad they changed the policy. I personally know some people who shamelessly take advantage of Costco's generosity. It's ridiculous really. Costco still has the best return policy of any retailer I know.

Mar 22, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #14 of 23
It was only a matter of time before they had to do something about their return policy. Honestly, I am suprised its been as generous as it has been for so long.

The new policy is still very good though.

I can't believe someone actually wrote to complain they were stopping the free TV upgrade program.

Mar 22, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, a no time limit return policy! That's crazy! Especially in this day and age when people's morality is often non-existent.

That's still a good revised return policy...kudos to Costco.

Let me tell you a little story...

A few years ago a member came into the warehouse where I work with a VCR purchased in 1980. He had the original Price Club receipt and the original packaging. He basically told the returns counter that he wasn't satisfied with the 20+ years he got out of his VHS player and that he wanted a refund. They gave him the full purchase price which was almost $1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back