Costco or Sam's Club
May 11, 2009 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

intoflatlines

Headphoneus Supremus
I would like to buy a membership to one of these discount shopping clubs, or whatever you call them, and I'm wondering what experience you Head-Fi'ers have had with either company. I live in Chicago and Costco and Sam's Club are the only two that I'm aware of in the area, but if there's others please let me know! Anyway, if you prefer one over the other, please vote in the poll and let me know what you chose and why. Thanks, Member's Lounge!
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: I should mention that I'm a student living with my girlfriend who has already graduated and has a steady job. We've got no kids or pets. If possible, can you say which store carries different stuff?

I don't think I can edit the poll anymore, so if you think it doesn't matter (they're both pretty much the same), just pick "Other"

May 11, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 38
Costco and Sams are similar in concept, but different in target markets. Costco is aimed at a higher end market than Sams. Like Walmart vs Target.

I like both, because they stock different stuff. Of course, I have 4 kids.

May 11, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 38
I use both. But probably would keep Costco if I had to get rid of one.

May 11, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 38
As a side note, I once had costco batteries melt and destroy a $1800 mic preamp. Costco bought me a new one, so I'm a member for life.

May 11, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 38
I have a membership to both Costco and Sam's Club. Both of them are located near where I live with Sam's Club being nearer to my home. I generally prefer to shop at Sam's most of the time because they have what I need and because it's a shorter drive from my home. I shop at Costco once in a while when they carry a specific item that I don't see in Sam's. Also Sam's don't always have the best prices on some of the same items that are carried by Costco.

May 11, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #7 of 38
it's generally a quality difference. Sams aims for low/mid for most of their products, and costco aims mid/high. For example, "Members Mark" is the sams brand, and is generally a low end product, where "Kirkland Signature Series", the costco brand, is generally a step above the commonly sold product.

May 11, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 38
I belonged to Costco for several years but eventually dropped it. They do have some good deals and customer service, but I eventually let my membership lapse.

I found that you can get as good of, or better, deals by shoppin around and using coupons. I also prefer to buy online as much as possible. There are better deals and I love to get around the 9% sales tax in California. Same reason I buy used whenever possible.

Also, I did not like the logistics of getting to Costco. There is one nearby, but the parking lot is Deathmatch 3000. The cheap pizza and hotdogs draw a large amount of non-members. It's a struggle to park anywhere except the very back of the lot, there's gridlock from people waiting for parking spots and being "stalked" by cars hoping to take your parking spot.

Because of all that, a trip to Costco would burn an extra 60-90 minutes if I went on the weekend, which is usually the only time I had to go.

If you do decide to join, go see if you can park there on a Saturday afternoon first.

I might join again some day, but I'd have to have a job where I could go on weekday evenings and other off times.

May 11, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #10 of 38
From my perspective they're about the same. I'm across the Lake in Michigan. Parking can be a hassle, but no more so than heading out to the mall.

I wouldn't consider either one high end, and found that they carry mostly the same merchandise. You can often find the same or better prices with competitors. Both offer their members savings on gasoline. Make your choice on convenience. Sam's Club used to be the only member big box store in this area. When Costco came in, we joined and let Sam's go. Sam's was on the other side of town with Costco 15 minutes from the house. If it matters, Sam's Club has better muffins than Costco
icon10.gif
. That was the biggest difference I found.

May 11, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #11 of 38
There's a costco about 1/2 mile from my house, so, I go to costco.

there isn't a whole lot i need in bulk quantity from them. It helps that my account is discouned by virture of the fact that my friend's wife has a home business, for which i am an unpaid consultant, on sabbatical.

Sam's used to sell better cheese, but some years back some moron decided that all premium cheeses come from other countries, so they replaced some excellent domestic cheeses with mediocre, more expensive imported cheeses.

other differences are so arbitrary as to be confusing. Like parcooked bacon - I want bacon at a frequency that isn't well served by purchasing raw sliced bacon. Half of it will go off before I'll eat it if i eat twice as much bacon as i usually do. I can parcook it myself and store it, but it's messy, produces a lot of bacon grease to be dealt with one way or another, and i can just buy packages of parcooked bacon that conveniently last for months in the coldest part of the fridge.

Costco only carries thick cut, Sam's only carries thin cut.

And yeah, thick cut is 'better', but sometimes the thinner slices are more appropriate.

May 11, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last month, Sam's club shut down all their locations and pulled completely out of Canada (or at least out of Ontario).

I was going to post the same thing. I have a Costco membership, but with the Sam's here closing I don't have another option. It's okay, I like Costco better anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back