Cost of DAC's
Mar 1, 2005 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

grasshpr

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I just wanted to know, whats the nominal price for a DAC as of now?

Also, what are the best DAC's in the low price-end and how do they compare with DAC's that are moderately priced? I'm thinking of getting one and would like to hear your opinions. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Grasshpr

Mar 2, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 11
You can spend anywhere from a few hundred dollars to (literally) tens of thousands. Mostly it depends on your budget and your associated equipment, your system will only sound as good as the weakest link in the chain.

I'm a budget guy, I bought all my DACs used, and none cost more than $200. Here's a really good thread about low-priced units.

Seems like the next obvious level up in performance comes at around $1000. If you can spend that much, take a look at the Benchmark DAC1, Bel Canto DAC2, and the Musical Fidelity X-DACv3.

Some interesting comparisons in the recent Northern California Meet Impressions thread.

Mar 2, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks alot clarke68. I'll take a gander at those DAC's. Let's see if my wallet feels heavy enough for a good DAC
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 11
Another quick question, how much does a CIAudio VDA-1 cost? I've check google, ebay, and CIaudio.com and none of which provides a price.

Mar 2, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by grasshpr
Another quick question, how much does a CIAudio VDA-1 cost? I've check google, ebay, and CIaudio.com and none of which provides a price.

According to the reviews linked from the site, $349 for the DAC and $159 for the power supply. Those reviews are a year or two old, though. You might want to email Dusty V. and ask him directly...

Mar 2, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by grasshpr
how much does a CIAudio VDA-1 cost?

Odd, they've taken the price off the web site. FWIR, they're around $350, and rather well-regarded in that price range.

Mar 2, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #7 of 11
Someone was offering the VDA-1 and VAC-1 for $350 shipped a couple of months ago. That's about what I paid for mine.

Mar 2, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #8 of 11
Thanks all. I will try to email dustin to see what their current price offering is. Also, any other recommendations are appreciated.

Mar 2, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #9 of 11
I'm a big fan of MSB Link DAC's. I'm on my third generation now, and I've been very happy. They have a decent upgrade path, so you can get in relatively cheap (particularly used) and add on if desired.

Mar 2, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #11 of 11
Your right, it is on the front page! I automatically went to the item page and assumed the price would be there. Also, since their order page didn't have prices, I assumed they didn't post it at all. Sorry for the confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back