Cosmic or .... ehehehehehe
Oct 1, 2002 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

disturbed

500+ Head-Fier
I'm finally ready to take a plunge. Though I would like to hear peoples opinions on the differences in sound quality between the
Headroom Cosmic (Reference Module) and The Max.

The portability of the Cosmic is most attractive to me but curious as I am:

I would like to know how they compare to each other.

Oct 1, 2002 at 1:22 PM Post #2 of 10
The Max has a similar personality to the Cosmic but has blacker blacks, deeper bass and a faster, more authoritative attack. It's a bit like comparing a Mustang GT to a Cobra.

Oct 2, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 10
The main difference is in the power supply.
The superior one found in the Max is what gives it the sound as Kelly accurately describes.
Now, in a portable enviroment (and with portable equipment) you might not be able to hear this so a reference Cosmic might just be the reference portable amp.

Oct 2, 2002 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 10
Neruda,

Not to be nitpicky...
tongue.gif

But the Max has two reference boards and two power supplies.
I would think that would qualify as dual mono (the picture of the inside of the Max on HeadRoom's website says "dual mono power supplies")

Yes, the Blockhead takes the dual mono design a step further by totally isolating the two channels.

The Max is an UNBALANCED dual mono design; the Blockhead is a BALANCED dual mono design, since the grounds are seperated completely.

The Cosmic, on the other hand, has one power supply and one reference board (on the Cosmic reference).

This is the difference I was intending to point out, and that this difference translates (to my ears) into a greater seperation of channels, as well as more bass and an overall easier/smoother/more dynamic presentation. The Cosmic is a very good amp, but the Max is a definate step up in sound
smily_headphones1.gif

David

Oct 2, 2002 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 10
This isn't an argument you guys are likely to agree on. The power supply circuitry is doubled in the Max but not everything else is. Some would say that a dual mono design would technically require everything to be doubled. This is why the BlockHead review in Stereophile poked fun at Tyll for calling the BlockHead a "double dual mono..." whatever. It's semantics, either way, and there's not a definitive definition.

I believe the doubled transformers and discrete power circuitry likely do contribute to the better speed, blackness and bass response I perceive with the Max. If you perceive a better channel seperation, that may just have more to do with less load on each opamp. I dunno.

Oct 3, 2002 at 2:37 PM Post #8 of 10
I went through the same decision, wanted portability but killer sound. I bought the cosmic with the base station for the vastly increased power supply argument.

I am very staisfied with this set up. Don't know about the max's blacker blacks and all that stuff, all I know is I get great sound and its dead silent between music even at stupid volume.

This set up seems to give my Sennheiser 580's with Cardas cable GREAT sound and detail.

Oct 4, 2002 at 12:42 AM Post #9 of 10
I just got a Base Station One for my Cosmic Reference today and all I can say is WOW! I think I'm finally beginning to realize the full potential of my HD-600s. The first CD I grabbed was Cowboy Junkies' The Trinity Session. Absolute black background and chillingly clear detail. I'm a believer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back