Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Oct 13, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #4,351 of 5,310
Thanks everyone for their replies.
I've emailed Phil and will see what he says.

Many thanks.

Oct 15, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #4,352 of 5,310
So, am I able to buy the dual driver micro monitors at this time? I know they aren't listed at their site, but it would seem from reading this thread that some people have been ordering all models and placing special orders, etc.

Can anyone tell me how much the dual driver micro is and whether I can actually order a pair? I am DYING to get these to sleep in. I usually wear full size monitors to sleep but if I don't position my arm just right, I'll wake up throughout the night from the pain in my ear(s). I've emailed/FaceBook messaged them, but have gotten impatient and figured while waiting for a reply, I'd just ask you guys for info. Thanks anyone willing to reply.

Oct 15, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #4,353 of 5,310
^ I'd like to know if they still offer the micros as well. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on the BA3 compared to the Alclair reference? They're the same price, but Alclair is in NA so shipping would be quicker. 

Oct 15, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #4,354 of 5,310
At the moment CE are in the throes of finalizing the new factory in the uk.  It's been a long time coming but they hope to be up and running fairly soon now.  Once that gets done I'm sure that the new website with up to date info will be online.  As for the micros as of this time only the single will be available for the time being.  To clarify I'd ordered mine that I posted quite some time ago and sent back for a refit.  Had some time and the difference in getting it tweaked is surprising.  Certainly doesn't sound like a single ba in there that's for sure.  Seal holds so much better now.  It's just that blasted strain relief from the right cable pressing against my ears that causes the problems now.  However with the redesign that won't be a matter of concern when they are re released.

One interesting thing to note is that the BA5 has been taken off the CE site.  Wonder what the implications of that are!

Oct 15, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #4,355 of 5,310
  At the moment CE are in the throes of finalizing the new factory in the uk.  It's been a long time coming but they hope to be up and running fairly soon now.  Once that gets done I'm sure that the new website with up to date info will be online.  As for the micros as of this time only the single will be available for the time being.  To clarify I'd ordered mine that I posted quite some time ago and sent back for a refit.  Had some time and the difference in getting it tweaked is surprising.  Certainly doesn't sound like a single ba in there that's for sure.  Seal holds so much better now.  It's just that blasted strain relief from the right cable pressing against my ears that causes the problems now.  However with the redesign that won't be a matter of concern when they are re released.

One interesting thing to note is that the BA5 has been taken off the CE site.  Wonder what the implications of that are!

2 questions: What was the sound signature like? I was hoping it'd be flat, but I'm worried because it's a single driver that it will have no bass. Should I be concerned? Also, how much did you pay for it?

Oct 16, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #4,356 of 5,310
I paid £100 quite a while ago but I imagine that will change as it has been redesigned with the new linum cable and exit point.  As far as bass goes, it is a single ba driver so it won't have ultimate bass extension but once I start listening I don't feel like I'm missing much.  Isolation is also good as well.  I tend to listen to progressive rock and metal if that's any use.  If you dig around and find a couple of reviews on the ba1 you should get an idea.  I like them as they are quite small and unobtrusive.  As I wear them at work that's a good thing.

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #4,358 of 5,310
Looks like the shops pretty much closed for new orders right now.  Last time I spoke to Phil via email he mentioned wanting to throttle back a bit as they got everything up and running.

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #4,360 of 5,310
How does everyone feel about the straight jack on the linum cables? Has anyone ran into issues with its strain relief near the termination? How would you guys use your gear in pocket in order to safeguard against natural wear and tear on a straight jack because paying copious amounts of money for awesome phones and then being reduced to one side working because of what I believe poor strain relief is a big bummer. Fortunately I have came up with an awkward way of going around this with a rubberband and pulling it one direction to get both monitors working again but I also wonder if this will ruin my jack on my x3/ tomahawk amp. :/

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #4,362 of 5,310
How does everyone feel about the straight jack on the linum cables? Has anyone ran into issues with its strain relief near the termination? How would you guys use your gear in pocket in order to safeguard against natural wear and tear on a straight jack because paying copious amounts of money for awesome phones and then being reduced to one side working because of what I believe poor strain relief is a big bummer. Fortunately I have came up with an awkward way of going around this with a rubberband and pulling it one direction to get both monitors working again but I also wonder if this will ruin my jack on my x3/ tomahawk amp. :/

Mine failed on the jack. The strain relief does not seem particularly robust but both the connection to the driver and the quality of the rest of the cable is really good. I wouldn't want to go back to thicker cables after using the Linum ones. They just need a fair bit of TLC.

It is not such a problem if you go for a two pin one as I assume most people (me included) have a cable or two spare. Having chosen the T2 I will be without an earphone while I am waiting for the broken cable to get to Estron, them check it and get back to me from Denmark. Not a perfect situation so if you are worried about it either choose the two pin option or buy a second cable as a spare. I'd do the latter but since I have already ordered a CE6P I'd have a second cable anyway to swap in case something happens again (fingers crossed it will not).

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #4,363 of 5,310
It would make my day if the had a 90° style connector. I am now saving up for a new cable that I will baby the crap out of they aren't exactly cheap. I tried using my universals just to see of I cpuld bear with those while I send them to estron. That was a no go. They just don't compare at all! So new investment plans are new cable and either the CE6E or UM Merlin. Just something with some great punch and low drive. Although the monitors I have more than fulfill it just becomes to me to go bigger and better.

Oct 19, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #4,364 of 5,310
Yeah, I too would prefer to have a 90' connector on the link cable, but I have to admit that despite some misgivings about the plug/strain relief mine has been fine despite daily abuse since release (I don't baby mine much, not careless but, you know)
The plug is so small that even though it's straight it doesn't seem to put much more strain on the socket when used in a pocket, and the rubbery feel of the heatshrink cover is actually quite useful for grip when inserting/removing.

I too won't be going back to conventional cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back