Cosmetic Differences Between Etymotic Models?
Jun 25, 2002 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

gfxartist

New Head-Fier
Just joined the forum AND received my new pair of Ety ER-4Ps yesterday! I've been lurking here for a week and what I read and learned here convinced me to order the Etys. Thanks to all.

As I spent the day trying them out, the thought occurred to me: Never having listened to any Etys before, how would I know if they had accidentally packaged the 4S instead of the 4P? I have no real reason to suspect such a thing- it's just that I noticed that there is no marking on the phones themselves to indicate exact model. My ears certainly couldn't tell me, as I have no reference. I know that the cord on the 4Ps is supposed to be more flexible, but mine sure seems stiff. Without a pair of 4S to compare them directly to...

Not a big deal, all the packaging clearly stated ER-4P, but I'd feel better if there was a definitive way to determine model number.

They do sound great, though. I wasn't sure what to expect since I've never owned headphones of this caliber before. I also ordered a Total Airhead along with the phones and I definitely prefer the Etys with the amp. (I read that the 4P was designed to be used without an amp, but I thought I'd try one anyway.)

Jun 26, 2002 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 18
The 4P has the green pod, the 4S has the grey pod, and the 4B has the black pod (so yes the 4B looks the coolest...and incidentally sounds the best out of the 3 IMO
evil_smiley.gif
).

Jun 26, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #6 of 18
I also ordered the 4P to 4S adapter, which works as advertised. But why $49? It merely changes the impedance, right?

You should see the look on peoples faces when they find out how much I spent on the Etys. But I'm dreading the moment when someone inquires about the cost of "that little adapter thingie".
frown.gif

Jun 26, 2002 at 4:16 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

You should see the look on peoples faces when they find out how much I spent on the Etys.

Just have them listen to the etys and then watch the look on thier faces.
wink.gif

Jun 26, 2002 at 12:53 PM Post #10 of 18
Hi!

Quote:

The 4P has the green pod, the 4S has the grey pod, and the 4B has the black pod (so yes the 4B looks the coolest...and incidentally sounds the best out of the 3 IMO

To Vertigo-1: Funny, I'm pushed towards the 4B model more and more!
cool.gif

I like binaural (very few) and live (many) recordings, so if there's canalphone equalised for that way of sound, maybe I buy them?! But: Money, money...
frown.gif

Your
Moonwalker

Jun 26, 2002 at 4:04 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by RVD
I think the ety er4p has a green chamber on the cord and the ety er4s has a gray chamber on the cord.

Oh no! So anyone on the train will know which kind of phones I am using!
eek.gif
I fear for the moment when finally someone walks up to me saying "So you have a fetish for acoustic detail and like everything clean-clean in sound, eh?"... all just by the cord... even worse, once they know those are 4S, they will also know that I carry an amp...
eek.gif
eek.gif

Jun 26, 2002 at 4:32 PM Post #12 of 18
Congrats, gfxartist!

I recently made the exact same purchase from HeadRoom. They came about a week and a half ago. I was also wondering the same thing - did I actually get a 4P or did I get a 4B by mistake? I already knew the 4S had a silver pod. Thanks for clearing this up, Vertigo-1 and RVD.

Did yours come with the cord bound together with a twist-tie? Mine had the cord loose in the case, which leads me to believe it was previously returned. No biggie, though - they sound fantastic. At least the ear pieces weren't yellow!!

It has taken about a week to get used to putting them in. Now I can get them in properly much more consistently and comfortably.

I was also pleasantly surprised that when using the adapter to make it a 4S, it wasn't that hard to drive it from my Nomad Jukebox. I got plenty of volume without having to max it out. Of course it was much easier to drive the 4P's. I'm glad I have the option to use both, because the extra bass of the P's is preferable depending on the recording, and the incredible detail of the S's is great if the recording and type of music justifies it.

Vince

Jun 26, 2002 at 11:41 PM Post #13 of 18
Vince,

I'm pretty sure mine were loose also. (no twist-tie) Not exactly sure because I just dove in and started hooking everything up.

I'm with you on the adapter- I like being able to switch between 4P and 4S configurations. Too bad you can't switch modes on the fly without having to unlug. An adapter with an inline switch to control the mode would be great. Should not be too difficult to build.

Which Nomad Jukebox do you have, the original or the new one? I just sold my 6GB original Jukebox and got a 40GB NJB3.
biggrin.gif
I should have enough space to even include some uncompressed wav files. It sounds great.

Jun 28, 2002 at 7:44 PM Post #14 of 18
hey gfxartist - sorry for the delayed response!

I have the original jukebox. How do you like the new one? Do you think it sounds better? Or is it mainly the new features? It seems pretty cool. I'm pretty happy with the sound of mine, although maybe the sound is limited because I can't really hear much difference when I compare a tune as a direct WAV file with the same tune mp3ed at 160 kbps. Maybe a little, but not much. And if I bump the mp3 to 256 or 390, then I really can't tell.

Here is another thing I wanted to ask you regarding the TA and the jukebox. With the Jukebox sitting on a table, hold the TA above it, but close to it. Move it all around the jukebox while listening to it. Does the TA pick up interference from the jukebox? It's like a hissing noise. Mine does, and I've exchanged the TA, so it's either the jukebox is defective or the TA just picks up interference from the hard drive or something. If it's the TA design, it kind of bums me out, because I would like to put the TA in my carrying case with the jukebox. But then it's too close and it picks up the interference. Seems like they should have shielded the electronics so it would not pick up interference from the portable player you're using it with! Kind of defeats the purpose.

Vince

Jun 29, 2002 at 12:22 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Vince
With the Jukebox sitting on a table, hold the TA above it, but close to it. Move it all around the jukebox while listening to it. Does the TA pick up interference from the jukebox? It's like a hissing noise. Mine does, and I've exchanged the TA, so it's either the jukebox is defective or the TA just picks up interference from the hard drive or something. If it's the TA design, it kind of bums me out, because I would like to put the TA in my carrying case with the jukebox. But then it's too close and it picks up the interference. Seems like they should have shielded the electronics so it would not pick up interference from the portable player you're using it with! Kind of defeats the purpose.
Vince

There was a thread about this in the Headroom forum. I guess it is because both devices are not properly shielded. My TA picks up interference from my iPod as well (and louder from GSM phones), but ony very silently, so you cannot hear it while the music plays.
You can eliminate the problem by putting a single piece of aluminium foil in between the player and the TA. Once I buy the iPod bag from Headroom I will put one in between those two pockets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back