Correlation between smartphone's DAC wired vs. wireless connection

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by kiteman, Nov 6, 2017.
  1. kiteman
    This might be an easy one, but I currently have a Nexus 6p known to have pretty terrible audio quality. I have some Sony wireless headphones that sound BETTER over bluetooth APT-X than they do wired directly to the phone (I've been told Android Oreo and the Sony headphones support LDAC but for some reason I can only run APT-X...not even sure there is a difference to the human ear anyway). I have wanted a new phone with a better DAC for some time now, but due to this latest experiment I am wondering if my BT headphones are utilizing any of the DAC in the phone at all? Meaning, as long as I'm using the headphones wirelessly, will they sound the same via APT-X no matter what the source is? Take the LG V20...supposedly one of the better DACs in a smartphone. BT APT-X V20 vs. BT APT-X 6P - will there be any difference whatsoever?

Now realistically if I had a better DAC I would wire these headphones more often than use them wireless, but that's slightly beside the point.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  2. castleofargh Contributor
    with bluetooth you use the DAC and amp inside the headphone itself. changing phones might give you different streaming options, but the audio circuit of the phone isn't involved. so yes, a given headphone should have pretty stable sound over different sources(except obviously if some app has EQ or other DSP turned ON^_^, I'm captain obvious).

ev13wt likes this.