Correct forum buying/selling etiquette?
Dec 13, 2007 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

jellybones

500+ Head-Fier
Let me start off by saying I'm not trying to start any kind of trouble. I won't name any names..or even the type of headphone I was trying to buy. I'll replace the headphone I was looking for with CAN.

I've been looking pretty hard for an CAN for a while..And I see one pop up so I immediately shoot the guy a PM saying I definately want them. Explain how hard I've been looking for them and so on. So, he replies with his Paypal address. I shoot him one back saying I'm waiting on a refund to come back into my account and if he would mind waiting for me to send the payment until tomorrow. Said, I could even pay half right now..and the rest tomorrow if that was better. (This whole time I'm talking to a friend of mine from the same site over AIM..he's been trying to help me find a CAN also.) So the friend I'm talking to says he'll lend me the money to just pay in full tonight, so the seller doesn't have to wait an extra day. I immediately PM him with that information and he replies "sorry, they've been sold."

So, was I completely wrong here? I thought it was still under discussion..I mean, he sent his Paypal address. Really bums me out, as I've been looking pretty hard for an CAN.

And to top it all off...
I've had my K340s up for sale..and had someone that wanted to buy them. But I didn't want them to send payment until I found a CAN..so, as soon as he said they're yours and sent me his Paypal info..I sent a Pm to the K340 buyer to go ahead and send the payment. So, now I'm headphoneless.
frown.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #2 of 28
That really sucks.

I'm not sure you have any recourse though except maybe to leave feedback about the botched transaction, which I think would certainly be appropriate.

Good luck with your continued search though.

Dec 13, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That really sucks.

I'm not sure you have any recourse though except maybe to leave feedback about the botched transaction, which I think would certainly be appropriate.

Good luck with your continued search though.

Bad idea.

There was no transaction. And it did not sound like firm details at all. He didn't even send his shipping address.

A good rule to remember when buying is, unless you have been told the item is held for you, it is first to pay, not first to say.

Dec 13, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 28
Sure, but I think it's bad form to give your Paypal info to a second potential buyer before telling the first that you're not willing to wait until tomorrow for the $$.

Dec 13, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bad idea.

There was no transaction. And it did not sound like firm details at all. He didn't even send his shipping address.

A good rule to remember when buying is, unless you have been told the item is held for you, it is first to pay, not first to say.

I agree 100%. While this sucks for you I don't think anyone is in the wrong here. He had goods for sale and someone paid before you did. End of story.

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_baseball_08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree 100%. While this sucks for you I don't think anyone is in the wrong here. He had goods for sale and someone paid before you did. End of story.

End of story, yes, but might not have been. What if he sent the funds? The seller shouldn't be giving out his paypal address until a sale is confirmed, or he's going to find himself dealing with some very unhappy people demanding their money back - and with Paypal, it's not immediate.

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 28
Here's the key "I thought it was still under discussion.."

As such you haven't committed to buy the item. Too many people enter into discussions to buy something them change their minds.

I use the Phrase- “I will buy it and send payment upon confirmation.”

Mitch

Dec 13, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #8 of 28
I don't see anything wrong with what the seller did. If you don't have the money ready to shoot to him right there and then..then well don't play the game.

one of the garden rules to getting what you want is having the resources on hand at that moment. this is followed on Audiogon a lot, someone emails me "hey i really want it but i don't have the money right now..cry for me.."

sorry dude i am selling something now, first come (with the money) first serve. at least that's what some people looking for a quick sale will think and they have the right to..its their item to sell.

Correct forum buying/selling etiquette?

don't talk unless you can walk..

the key is having the money on hand..remember that.

edit: i am not trying to sound mean but if you wanted the item that bad and you have been looking you should of had the money on hand.

Dec 13, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 28
i agree with the seller.

if you pm'ed me saying you definitely wanted the item and then i sent you my paypal address. the next thing i would expect is payment in full - not well i kinda have the money but not really. i would have moved on without a second thought.

Dec 13, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #13 of 28
I believe if he didn't want to wait..he should have replied telling me he didn't want to wait and let me know if I couldn't pay in full..he was gonna move on to the next guy. If he would have read my third PM which said I had the full payment..but no. As soon as he read the 2nd he told the other guy to send money. Just a silly way to go about it..to me.

Dec 13, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #14 of 28
My two cents, for what it's worth:

Bad feedback is to be used as a last resort only. In this case, there was no deal.

A buyer must be ready willing and able to buy.

In this case, "able" is the operative word. Able means the funds must be available for immediate payment, unless the parties make other arrangements. ABLE, doesn't mean scrambling around trying to get the money.Of course, we all know this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back