Coronado Meet Impressions-11/3/12
Nov 5, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:
we have a dealer of focals in orange county which has the most expensive focal utopia setup 90k$ speakers, if you're willing to we can demo one up there.

I would be interested in doing that. Are you sure the dealer would be willing to let us come in and do a measurement?

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #20 of 33

Quote:
I found the LL/009 combo, fed from the EMM Labs DAC, to be pretty sedate. Not what I was expecting, and a bit of a disappointment.
No BHSE on hand for comparison.

Thanks.  Have you heard the 009 on other amps before?

Anyone else get to hear the LL/009 setup?

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #21 of 33
I heard the LL/009 at this meet, and Alex lent me the LL for a week before the H3 meet. Although it should be noted that I am only a slight fan of the 009 to begin with (I owned it, appreciated it, sold it, and have no regrets), I felt the LL/009 combo was a spectacular combination with the PWD2 running 2.10 (brighter sounding firmware). The LL is a very polished and refined sounding amp (Cavalli certainly has a house sound) with very good control. And coupled with a polite sounding DAC (the EMM) may not have yielded the best results. Of course a lot of this comes down to personal preferences. The 009 is extremely picky, not only to amplification, but also to source.

Regarding the comparison with the BHSE. I finally heard the BHSE+009 from an Oppo, and I felt the combination rather excessively bright. BHSE was "just made" for the 007mk1. Although the BHSE/009 works well with warmer for treble forgiving sources such as those NOS or PCM1704 or similar R2R ladder DACs. But again this may come down to personal preferences.

Nov 6, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #23 of 33
  • "Something is wrong. Some DSP crap going on here. I need to check iPod settings." (Lo and behold the EQ settings were messed with. I set it to flat / off)
  • "Hmmm, the Pro750s are surprisingly tolerable."
  • "This does not sound slightly nasty like the iPod Classic DAC." (Checked what iPod was connected to. Lo and behold, the NuForce thingy was taking over DAC duties)
  • "Hmm, I guess the NuForce stuff isn't that bad."
  • "How is this possible? It's been over a few minutes now. The K550 only lasted 45 seconds until Kurt Cobain started to scream."

The gentleman, I forgot his name, was kind enough to tell me which one of the headphones was the most neutral or normal sounding. I would have immediately put the headphones down and politely walked away had I heard the Pro900 instead. The Pro750 is the best Ultrasone I have heard yet. (Haven't heard the Sig Pros.)

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #24 of 33
Sure wish I could have made it. I was just a block or so from you. My degree is just more important. =)

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:
What room was secured for the meet? The setting looks very enjoyable.

The Coronado Library has a meeting room called the Winn Room, which is available to the public for "rental". It's actually free to rent, but I did pay $25 in order to be able to server food.

It is a GREAT setting with all the glass, nice furniture, etc. You have to love a "high end" community like Coronado. They have lots of money for the community.

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:
Quote:
What room was secured for the meet? The setting looks very enjoyable.

The Coronado Library has a meeting room called the Winn Room, which is available to the public for "rental". It's actually free to rent, but I did pay $25 in order to be able to server food.

It is a GREAT setting with all the glass, nice furniture, etc. You have to love a "high end" community like Coronado. They have lots of money for the community.

Yes, it caught my eye. It's been a few years since I last visited Coronado/SD.

Dec 23, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #29 of 33
Actually makes me kinda wish I came to this meet. I could have brought my HE-6, but I think I was cramming for a midterm on that weekend. If there is another meet within the next 4 months or so, count me in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back