cornell + rage
Jun 26, 2002 at 6:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

NotoriousBIG_PJ

Step 1: Plug power cable into wall. Step 2: Plug other end of power cable into....umm.... Step 0.5: Order something to power with power cable.
Anyone know anything new about this collaberation? I know they broke up but their cd is supposed to still come out... I have 14 demo songs from the album and they kick ass, even without all the production and stuff.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Jun 26, 2002 at 6:31 AM Post #2 of 44
I don't have any official info, but I hought the entire project was canceled. no CD..

where did you get the demos?

Jun 26, 2002 at 1:09 PM Post #3 of 44
I remember reading, at the Rage site (or a fan site?) that the Cornell project work was going to be released, regardless of the fact that Cornell had left the band and hence Rage couldn't tour with those songs (or the Zach De La Rocha material)......

Jun 26, 2002 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 44
wow, thats cool. haven't visited Ratm.com for a while sine it hasn't been updated muc. at least, I didn't ind any info on the project.

Jun 26, 2002 at 7:35 PM Post #5 of 44
Yes, it's definitely going to be released. Studio sessions were finished in April, but still no word on a release date. I don't know if they've finished production, but I know radio stations have had a promo disc for at least a few weeks now.

kerelybonto

Jun 27, 2002 at 2:06 PM Post #6 of 44
All righty.......I really can't wait, though I'm gonna have to hear some samples first. I mean, Cornell is going to make Rage sound VERY different..............will it be Soul Against The Rage, or Rage Against The Soul, or Rage N' Soul Against Everything?

Jun 27, 2002 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 44
Agreed......especially for a band signed onto SONY!

puh-leez.........Bob Dylan is more rebellious than Rage ever was, IMO.........I just love that first Rage CD. It's just great hard rock.

Jun 27, 2002 at 5:49 PM Post #9 of 44
Rage's politics were epitomized by the sea-turtle-costume-wearing "protesters" at the Battle of Seattle: full of the desire to rebel against something, to decry the status quo, to do something good, and devoid of any intelligent thought.

But I like their music. And I'm a huge Soundgarden fan, so I'm expecting to like the Cornell/Rage release. We'll see.

kerelybonto

Jun 27, 2002 at 8:55 PM Post #10 of 44
besides the fact that it's a bit double perhaps, being signed with Sony and 'raging against the machine', I do like their political message. it's not so much against capitalism, but they do try to open your eyes. as an example some governments would support terrorists if they can make a profit out of it, but when they see an opportunity to get re-elected, they'll declare war. they're a bit too popular to be really believable, Morello still does some good work. it may all be a bit over-the-top, but it's a good deal better than taking it as it's being fed. enough band who sing about the birds and the bees, I think it's refreshing to see a great metal band put idealistic message out there. putting one extreme against the other. despite the fact that they get payed for it.

I am still not sure when they're supposed to have sold out tho? appearing on MTV? I don't sense any selling out on their CDs, they got better as they went IMO.

Jun 27, 2002 at 9:40 PM Post #11 of 44
Okay. I have an interesting idea. My thoughts on the majority of political lyrics is in a thread around here somewhere -- to summarize, I think they're stupid. So how 'bout we pick a lyric and talk a lil' bit 'bout it? You can start with a Rage lyric, if you can actually find a good one once you start looking.

kerelybonto

Jun 27, 2002 at 10:28 PM Post #12 of 44
I like a lot of lyrics of their first album, of Evil Empire I didn't read most, but Year Of The Boomerang is good. of Battle Of LA Maria and Ashes In The Fall stand out for me.

there are countless, way better lyricists out there ofcourse, but they don't have Morello on guitar now do they?

and you can think you're all high and mighty with your boundless knowledge off 'good' lyrics, but I never claimed Rage lyrics were the best. they carry an image and a message I like, tha's all.

why is it always the discussion on metal where someone comes in and needs to 'prove' his opinion that something's stupid? I like em, you don't. let's keep it at that.

Jun 28, 2002 at 2:24 AM Post #13 of 44
Hey, let's be nice now.......Battle has some good lyrics, but one song does annoy me - Guerilla Radio.

It is the quintessential single - sounds super the first time, with a nice hook and everything, but after more listens, sorta fades.

kerelybonto: Why would Braver be compelled to start a discussion on Rage lyrics with you? You made it clear you think most political lyrics are stupid. Are you asking for an argument? Or what.......

Braver: Rage rocks, simple as that.....

To clarify my Dylan statement - I find Bob Dylan to be more rebellious per se, I mean, he can't really sing, and his songwriting isn't all that great......but he sells because he can write DAMN good lyrics. Very few people are like that.................

(IMO, of course)

Rage isn't really rebellious - they were super innovative when they came out (the 92' release sounds so.......1999ish!) and they do some really interesting hip-hop/metal hybrid work on Battle.....Evil Empire, I felt, was a sub-par album, but, as Braver noted, Morello is a super, super guitarist.......the only part of them that is sell-out is that they seem to decry capitalism (not a necessarily bad thing) while using it to spread their message.

meh meh

Jun 28, 2002 at 6:42 AM Post #14 of 44
Ok I have all the demo songs and they sound better then any of the new hard rock out there (although i here the new chili peppers album is amazing). The lyrics are definetly all cornells and are not political. Just so you guys know hehe. I'm sure some of the lyrics will have been redone for the album because I read it took a long time for cornell to finish up all the writing and he ended up sending the later ones from his house to the studio..

Biggie.

Jun 28, 2002 at 6:43 AM Post #15 of 44
Ow yeah and the music for most songs have that rage feeling to them, some good work.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back