Corda Swing
May 3, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #46 of 89
Originally Posted by mrarroyo:
Quote:

I wrote an email to Dr. Meier regarding the choice of the 8610 op-amp for the new Move versus the 6171 on the Porta Corda MkIII. Basically I asked him which had the better sound amp section. He said they are very similar and that the 6171 was more detailed while the 8610 was more forgiving with street cans.

I wonder what this means for the Swing...

May 3, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #47 of 89
Impressions from the Move thread comparing the LM6171 to the AD8610.

Originally posted by senny-ftw:

Quote:

Against the MKIII, the Move has a slightly smoother, warmer sound with a more pronounced bass and low-mid. The nasty sharp highs I occasionally experience are gone (e.g. hi-hat / the guitar slapping on Jack Johnson - Banana Pancakes), which is a welcome change, allowing higher volumes without being blasted by symbols, hi-hat...

Detail is still good, but a small amount is perhaps traded for smoothness and warmth. The smoother sound is more pleasing to the ear and makes the amp more forgiving to poor recordings or low-bitrate songs.

As I mentioned before, I really like the way it handles vocals, especially female. They seem richer and more natural.

Strangely, I find separation of instruments can sometimes be better on the MKIII, while the Move has better placement. Really weird!

I think the most impressive thing about the sound of the Move is how it manages to be warm, smooth AND detailed at the same time. I find some high-detail equipment unpleasant to use daily, but the Move produces a very listenable, full sound.

May 27, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #49 of 89
I don't think I will be reviewing the Swing. I offered to Jan that he could send me one to review, but right now he has enough interest in the amp that he does not feel a review is necessary/warranted. Jan has been very gracious in loaning me review units in the past, and I respect his decision.

Jun 27, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #51 of 89
This is my first post on Head-Fi. I recently received a Corda Swing and wanted to post my first impressions. I’ll try and complete a more detailed commentary in a bit. Well, let me begin by saying, that this product is, to my ears, a winner. I use it primarily with Beyer DT880/250 and Denon 2000 phones. It has more than sufficient power to drive the Beyers and the selectable gain helps it to work well with the Denons. The crossfeed is subtle but effective. For me, crossfeed is an important feature. I just read with interest Dr Meier’s description of the improved crossfeed in his new StageDAC. When this feature works its way down to his headphone amps, we may have to consider an upgrade. But I digress…

I haven’t heard any of the Corda LM6171 based amps, so I really do not have any basis for comparison with this AD8610 based amp.. But, and this is in line with a previous post (from koto-in), I do find the sound smooth, but detailed. Very pleasant to listen to for extended periods. Construction is first rate, although I have one criticism: Dr Meier, why do you use mini toggle switches on a full size home amp?

That is all for now.

Jul 4, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #52 of 89
I wrote a couple of weeks ago that I would follow up with a more complete review of my new Corda Swing. Well, I have been having too much fun with my new “toy”, as Jan referred to it. A bit of background, so you know where I am coming from. I have an extensive CD collection which, in the past, I would occasionally listen to on Sennheiser 580 headphones though my preamp headphone output, which is fairly decent. Fast forward to my purchase of a Ipod Classic, and the serious uploading of substantial pieces of my collection. Thence, realizing the relatively poor fidelity from the headphone jack, I started using an external amp (XM5). After some op amp rolling, I had an improved source for my headphones. Now, my old headphone jack is no longer sounded as good. So, I started looking for a desktop amp for my main stereo rig.

In the meantime the Sennheiser 580 bit the dust, and was replaced with a Beyer DT880/250. I also have a Denon 2000. So I needed an amp that could support both the inefficient Beyer and the low impedance, more efficient Denon. Although, not a primary requirement, it would be nice if the amp would work well with my Shure 420 IEMs, something my preamp did not.

Not needing to connect this amp to my computer, USB was not a real requirement, but only a nice to have. After researching on Head-Fi and elsewhere, I zeroed in on the new Corda Swing as best meeting my requirements. As mentioned in my previous post, I wanted the crossfeed feature (something that had also led me to the XM5).

OK, enough with history. So, how do I like the Swing. In short, very much. All my headphones sound fabulous. Yes, better than the XM5 – highs, midrange, lows, impact, clarity. What is interesting here is that I am also using an AD8610 and BUF634 in the XM5. While there is a “family” resemblance to the sound, the Swing is overall at a much higher level.

The Swing’s sound is slightly warm but still detailed and revealing. This is in line with what Dr Meier has been quoted in other posts when asked about the difference between the Swing and his LM6171 based amp. His site states the Swing as having “PRaT”. I know it stands for Pace, Rhythm and Timing. But saying an amp has PRaT really means what in terms of its sound?

My musical tastes are broad, although primarily classical and opera. However, I also listen extensively to Jazz, folk, country (especially bluegrass). And of course, as befits my age, classic rock. A number of the recordings I listen to are old and of varying quality. Having an amp that is somewhat forgving, without veiling the good recordings, is for me a real plus. I just listened to a Sidney Bechet Jazz album from the 1930s and a state of the art binaural recording of Le Sacre du Printemps. The “warts” on the vintage recording did not intrude and the binaural recording really did come through with excellent clarity and instrument positioning.

I think Dr Meier has a real winner here. Sehr gut Herr Doktor.

Jul 18, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #54 of 89
any more impressions?
i'd like to buy one and i want to know how it compares with the old arrieta and the cantate
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks in advance
beerchug.gif

and with the gs solo
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #57 of 89
Just bought one to use with my new Shure SR840s. I am very impressed with it thus far. Nice understated styling , first-rate construction and a smooth delivery. Works nicely with the Shures. Got some breaking in to do!

Sep 13, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #60 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edoardo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!

Do you think the Corda Swing will be worth a pair of HD 650? this thing of the new worse opamps worries me a little...

HD650? Nope, you need something with a fair bit more grunt for those things. Audio-gd compass didn't have enough power to drive them (and that's a discreet no opa design amp). Regardless I will update this thread with my impressions of the Swing once it arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back