Corda Preamp with Headphone Amp and Crossfeed
Nov 4, 2002 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

taoster

Headphoneus Supremus
http://headwize2.powerpill.org/ubb/s...ays=20&stime=0

looks damn sweet..

since jan cant actually discuss it directly.. i'll get the discussion going.

how does it sound!
eek.gif

Nov 5, 2002 at 11:18 AM Post #4 of 10
Kelly, can you review the version with the AD8610 option?

Jan's new amp really has the potential to destroy the Headroom Max. The AD8610 in Class A is truly stunning.

Nov 5, 2002 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 10
Wodgy
I decided to trust the designer on this one. Jan said the 8610 is softer and more forgiving and that the LM chip is more clean and accurate. Since I should have an adequate source, I opted for the LM chip.

Unfortunately the two chips require different voltages so simply opamp rolling is not an option in this case and buying two amps was beyond even my level of obsession.

I preordered mine the day Jan mentioned intention to build them. I'm looking forward to hearing it but I'm also a little anxious. It has a lot to live up to.

Nov 5, 2002 at 3:49 PM Post #6 of 10
Kelly, you probably won't regret your decision, since the tubed output stage of your upgraded CDP should already be pretty smooth, and probably a good match with Jan's chosen chip. (For the rest of us with inferior sources though, it would be interesting for someone to try the option.)

Nov 5, 2002 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy
Kelly, you probably won't regret your decision, since the tubed output stage of your upgraded CDP should already be pretty smooth, and probably a good match with Jan's chosen chip. (For the rest of us with inferior sources though, it would be interesting for someone to try the option.)

I agree. Maybe if we have another Dallas meeting sometime, we can persuade Jan to send us an 8610 version so everyone at the meeting can AB and post their thoughts. I'm wanting to hear his Analoguer anyway.

It's kind of sad though, our previous two hosts, Flumpus and Nick Dangerous, have both become less involved with headphone stuff and my apartment isn't really suitable. We need more Dallas Head-Fi members, I guess. Preferably with big houses.

Nov 6, 2002 at 4:25 PM Post #9 of 10
Hey kelly about your Modwright upgrades, I was wondering about "Direct Drive" update. Is this the same as the "Amp-Direct Mod" Dan discusses in his page? If so what were the advantages of getting this upgrade for your system, since all your head amps can do volume control?

Hope those logistics with dparrish's stock 777ES are working themselves out, I'm sure many people would love to here your comments on the improvements of the upgrade.

Zin

Nov 6, 2002 at 4:31 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Zin_Ramu
Hey kelly about your Modwright upgrades, I was wondering about "Direct Drive" update. Is this the same as the "Amp-Direct Mod" Dan discusses in his page? If so what were the advantages of getting this upgrade for your system, since all your head amps can do volume control?

Hope those logistics with dparrish's stock 777ES are working themselves out, I'm sure many people would love to here your comments on the improvements of the upgrade.

Zin

The primary advantage would be when driving a speaker amp, which I haven't yet purchased. I have considered buying or building a headphone amp without volume control but some practical feelings left in me advise against it.

The disadvantage here is that since the XA itself does not accept other source inputs, of course, I'll really need a speaker amp that can accept two source (the XA for one and some sort of pre-amp for the other). I'm updating my wishlist as I go so we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back