Corda Move USB.. Crazy Jitter!
Jul 26, 2008 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Bonthouse

1000+ Head-Fier
as the topic title spells it out, I'm having crazy jitter with my usb DAC/AMP
frown.gif

I bought this to enjoy music, not to dislike it.
Every time something moves on my screen, I get jitter. If I move my mousecursor, I get jitter. And ofcourse there is the constant high pitched jitter.
I already use a USB cord with ferrite cores on both ends.

What could be a cure for this ultra annoying problem?

Jul 26, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as the topic title spells it out, I'm having crazy jitter with my usb DAC/AMP
frown.gif

I bought this to enjoy music, not to dislike it.
Every time something moves on my screen, I get jitter. If I move my mousecursor, I get jitter. And ofcourse there is the constant high pitched jitter.
I already use a USB cord with ferrite cores on both ends.

What could be a cure for this ultra annoying problem?

Do you mean drop-outs and blips in the sound. This is sadly a common problem with USB audio devices, it isnt jitter but most likely CPU calls that are interrupting the audio stream, no less annoying for that however.

You can get software to monitor DPC (delayed procedure calls) and then disable processes and services that cause problems, common culprits include anti-virus programs and networking. I had this problem on my system and it was a bugger to track down.

As for the high pitched noise that is probably interference.

Jul 26, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 24
It's not like the music stops, but I can clearly hear if the computer is doing something. Like when a window minimizes, I hear a little humming sound. That kinda thing.
When I use my iPod LOD instead of USB, I get crystal clear sound. All my USB ports are on the motherboard itself.
If I use a USB PCI card, will that likely minimize the interferrence in the audio?

Jul 26, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 24
This is just crazy. I disabled some devices I didn't need, and it's gone!
Thanks MrKadazor!

Jul 26, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #7 of 24
CPU0 and CPU1!

Nah, I think it was the VIA VT6421 RAID card I had installed. When I disabled that, it got rid of all static, which was amazig!

Jul 26, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #8 of 24
Not too long ago I had a similar problem like you. I would get pops and crackles, when someone linked to that site I figured out it was my capture card. My latency went from 5000 to about 20-50 now.

Jul 27, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 24
Same here... Pretty strange a PCI card can screw up a external DAC THIS bad.

Aug 20, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #10 of 24
Damn. It's back.
I'm currently on Vista 32bit and as soon as the GPU has to to something, the DPC goes trough the roof.
Does anyone have a remedy for this?

Aug 21, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #11 of 24
What happens if you run it from battery? For quality purposes, get yourself Lithium 9v to try out. It sounds mostly like analog noise, so either there's a section picking up noise in the amp, or a power line is sending it in. The USB cable should be immune (pops and other timing noises may result form crappy USB transmission, but not clicking or humming), but the power input might be able to take in some of your PC's EMI/RFI and not be rejected by the power stage in the Move.

If a battery fixes it, I'd look into getting a PSU whose whole DC section sits very near the DAC/Amp

If you can, return it if some suggestion doesn't fix things quickly. This crap is a major reason for going USB in the first place. It was the reason I moved out of my PC case.

Finally, even though it probably won't do much good, if your USB cable has ferrite cores, get one that doesn't need them. There's very good info in the USB cable thread (still on the first page, right now).

Quote:

When I use my iPod LOD instead of USB, I get crystal clear sound. All my USB ports are on the motherboard itself.
If I use a USB PCI card, will that likely minimize the interferrence in the audio?

This assumes that you mean the iPod and Move both near the computer, otherwise like if you had it plugged in USB:
Maybe, but probably not. In this case, I'm thinking the Move's USB section is allowing the noise on the USB line to be transmitted overto the analog side, bypassing any potential noise rejection the power input stage may have, and making a quality DC supply useless as a potential solution.

The thing is, with all the switching going on, and most of the uses of your power being digital, USB will have a tendency to be noisy. A different controller may help, but there's a good chance it will change the nature of the interference more than fix it. But, try it. Worst case is that you'll have extra USB ports, and maybe can upgrade an old PC to USB 2.0.

If the Move is internally allowing USB line noise through, and it's not EMI/RFI from outside in the air, or from the power input, then it is likely a design fault in the Move.

Good luck!

Aug 21, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #13 of 24
Ah, will look for a powerd USB hub then
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the help!

Aug 22, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #14 of 24
i am sorry to hijack the trd' but i want to ask , if you hear pops ? to get a DAC with chip that filter that will help ?
if so what to check on dac spec **** ?
i am sorry about my English ' so if i mistake please forgive me
and thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back