Corda HA-2
Dec 2, 2002 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

lini

Thought the last line in Citizen Kane was nosebud.
Just in case nobody mentined it, yet: Jan should have relased the Corda HA-2 - a Corda HA-1 on steroids
wink.gif
- by now. Cost is 560 Euro/US$.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Further technical infos as sent to the chosen few
biggrin.gif
by Jan:

** 2 headphone outputs (0 Ohm / 120 Ohm output
impedance).

** Maximum output 13V / 250 mA.

** Variable crossfeed filter switch:
1. Stereo
2. Low level crossfeed
3. Medium level crossfeed

** Input impedance 13 kOhm

** Gold-plated input jacks.

** Silver plated headphone jacks (Neutrik).

** Silver plated heavy duty switch (C&K).

** Alps Blue Potentiometer.

** 7 Watts toroidal transformer (Talema).

** 110V and 220V versions available.

** Power uptake 4 Watts

** Build-in groundloop breaker.

** Schottky rectifying diodes in the power
supply.

** Double regulated voltage lines.

** Low impedance electrolytic buffer capacitors
(Panasonic).
Total Buffer capacity 21.000 uF.

** Polyesterfilm bypass capacitors in the power
supply.

** Polystyrol and polypropylen (Vishay)
capacitors in the signal path.

** Metalfilm resistors in the signal path.

** Double sided PCB with 70 um copper.

** LM6171 opamps biased into class-A using
LM334 current sources.

** BUF634 buffer amplifiers at each headphone
output channel.

** Star-grounding.

** Ultra short signal paths.

** Signal paths and signal path components at
the bottom side
of the PCB for maximal shielding.

** Sturdy aluminium enclosure with anodized
front plate (8 mm)
and backplate).

** Laser engravings.

That's it. I also received some photos, but I've got no place to post 'em in proper size...

Dec 2, 2002 at 6:15 PM Post #2 of 27
Will the HA-2 also be offered in kit form?

Dec 2, 2002 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 27
Kevin: The mail doesn't mention a kit, so I don't know a definitive answer. But the board has quite a lot of parts, and there are parts on both sides of it - so maybe (speculation!) Jan considers it too difficult for the typical diy-builder...

More greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Dec 2, 2002 at 7:47 PM Post #4 of 27
Dear kpfeifle,

"Will the HA-2 also be offered in kit form?"

No, definitely not. Experiences with the HA-1 have been quite discouraging and the HA-2 is simply a few levels more difficult to build. The double sided board also makes repairs/desoldering very difficult.

Cheers,

Jan

Dec 2, 2002 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 27
looking at your website i noticed a pre/power amp combo i was wondering when you will be selling it and about how much it will cost? (i need to know soon because im about to buy an integrated amp) thanks,
chris

Dec 2, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 27
Dear BoardC3

I do have plans for a small power amplifier that those will not be realized within the near future. I have many other ideas that I like to give a higher priority. Can't do it all at the same time.

Sorry,

Jan

Dec 2, 2002 at 11:04 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

I have many other ideas that I like to give a higher priority

Jan:

Would you care to share? What can we expect in the near future?

Dec 3, 2002 at 2:12 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Gergor
Is it a prehead without the preamp option?

It has a smaller transformer and only one buffer per channel (Prehead has three) but Jan claims there is no audible difference with high impedance phones such as DT931 and HD600 but that there may be a *slight* difference with low impedance phones such as Grados. I trust Jan but I'll still hold out for my own audition--maybe sometime next year.

Dec 3, 2002 at 5:58 AM Post #11 of 27
Very tempting... even though most of my headphone are low-Z. I recently bought a HD580 and I'm very happy with it, maybe I'll get it to drive the Senn exclusively...
cool.gif

Dec 3, 2002 at 8:21 AM Post #12 of 27
Dear Headfellows,

"Would you care to share? What can we expect in the near future?"

Right now, with Christmas time coming up, I'm completely overloaded, so no new projects for the next few weeks.

However, if time is there I hope to bring a passive crossfeed filter that can be placed in front of every ordinary headamp. It basically is the natural crossfeed filter with a build-in compensation for the load impedance represented by the amp.

More recently Harry and I started testing various interconnect cables. To be honest, we find prices of most interconnects rather overcharged and consider bringing some cables of our own.

Next project might be a new low-budget amp. an upgrade of the HA-1. However, this will not be launched within the next half year. I simply don't have the time.

And last there's that small poweramp...

But we shouldn't forget to mention that .........

Oops, I won't tell you that
evil_smiley.gif

"any estimate on the release?"

I didn't have time to update my home-page yet but the HA-2 should be available by the end of this week. Harry is soldering like a world-champ right now. No review samples though, unless there's a big meeting coming up.

"It has a smaller transformer and only one buffer per channel (Prehead has three) but Jan claims there is no audible difference with high impedance phones such as DT931 and HD600 but that there may be a *slight* difference with low impedance phones such as Grados."

The PREHEAD is extremely powerfull and will output 5 Watts (800 mA peak current) per channel at a 16 Ohm load! It even can drive high-efficiency loudspeakers

The HA-1 has an output of 250 mA per channel but with headphones this still is way more than enough. As whether sonic differences are to be expected from stacked buffers, please be aware that with both the PREHEAD and the HA-2 the buffers are placed within the feedback loop of a controlling opamp. It's the opamp that determines the quality of sound.

Small sonic differences might also be present if your mains power is strongly polluted, as the PREHEAD has a build-in mains-filter. However, both amps have a two step voltage regulation so again, differences will be small.

Cheers,

Jan

Dec 3, 2002 at 8:35 AM Post #13 of 27
Now I'm extremely tempted. Any pics you'd share with us?
smily_headphones1.gif
Is it the same size as HA-1 or bigger?

Edit: Oh my, since this March, I've bought 4 headphones, 1 headphone amp, 1 CD player, 1 outboard DAC, and now I'm thinking about getting another amp? I think I need help.
redface.gif

Dec 3, 2002 at 9:27 AM Post #14 of 27
Dear Gergor,

I hope to update my home-page today. Size of the HA-2 indeed is very similar to the HA-1. The new amp only has a thicker front-plate (8mm).

Jan

Dec 3, 2002 at 9:29 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Jan Meier
As whether sonic differences are to be expected from stacked buffers, please be aware that with both the PREHEAD and the HA-1 the buffers are placed within the feedback loop of a controlling opamp. It's the opamp that determines the quality of sound.

You mean HA-2, right?

Interesting news, on paper this is closer to where I originally thought your next amp after the HA-1 would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back