Corda Ha-2 MKII SE vs. Emmeline HR-2
Apr 22, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by georgep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply. I have considered the opera but I am leaning toward no DAC.

Also, do the Ray Samuels amps have crossfeed? The website was pretty silent on this (or at least what I saw).

No, I have read that Ray does not believe in adding things that can "color/change" the sound.

Apr 22, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 17
Didn't see that until now. Well spotted
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #8 of 17
Crossfeed is cool cuz it's there if you need it. You can always turn it off. I didn't listen to the meier amp, but the Grace 902 (which is very nice, and has tons of features) utilizes the Meier crossfeed. I do have some older jazz and blues records that I can't listen to thru my HeadRoom Amp without crossfeed. I usually don't use crossfeed unless I have to.

So on one hand, I don't use it much. On the other hand, it's the only way to listen to about 15% - 20% of my albums.

I'd also give the nod to stepped attenuators. In my experience with the HeadRoom amps, this is a nice upgrade. I guess it all depends on the gain of the amp and the ability to find the right volume. Luckily with the HeadRoom amp you can have three gain adjustments, so its pretty easy to find an acceptable volume step.

Apr 22, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #9 of 17
When I compared the two way back when they were pretty identical to me, and the differences, if any, were virtually indistinguishable. The HR-2 may have had a fuller bottom end, with the Meier just a tad more air up top, but without an A/B box and going back and forth for a couple of hours, you would be hard pressed to hear any significant differences between the two. Which is fine because both are great amps

Apr 23, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I compared the two way back when they were pretty identical to me, and the differences, if any, were virtually indistinguishable. The HR-2 may have had a fuller bottom end, with the Meier just a tad more air up top, but without an A/B box and going back and forth for a couple of hours, you would be hard pressed to hear any significant differences between the two. Which is fine because both are great amps

Thanks for the input. Just as a clarification, was that the "SE" version of the HA-2 MK II? Also, I will not get the opportunity to audition crossfeed - what were your thoughts regarding the Corda crossfeed and the absence of any crossfeed on the HR-2?

Thanks.

Apr 23, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I have read that Ray does not believe in adding things that can "color/change" the sound.

See his comments on the Tomahawk on his site.

Apr 23, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by georgep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input. Just as a clarification, was that the "SE" version of the HA-2 MK II? Also, I will not get the opportunity to audition crossfeed - what were your thoughts regarding the Corda crossfeed and the absence of any crossfeed on the HR-2?

Thanks.

I am almost positive it was the SE version. I really liked the crossfeed implementation on the Corda, it is subtle and doesn't alter the frequency response and tonal balance in an overtly noticeable way. The absence of crossfeed on the HR-2 in my experience only proves to be a hindrance if you listen to a vintage stereo recording where instruments are hard-panned in left or right channel, which any amp can suffer without crossfeed. Not an issue at all with normal recordings with my ears, but crossfeed is really a personal thing, and some people physically need that sensation more than others. For me, I really don't need crossfeed even on hard stereo panned recordings, I have been listening to headphones for quite a while and my brain has already adapted itself quite nicely to headphone listening the way it is.

Apr 23, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #14 of 17
Oh yeah. I've auditioned both for a while with my 650s. I would choose Corda hands down. Better soundstage and more neutral. That's what 650's need.

The stock opamps in the HR-2 are just too sweet for 650s. The HR-2 may have better bass and "blackness" but the soundstage is awful and despite other people's like for the HR-2, I didn't like that very important aspect of the sound. Even when I rolled in other opamps, I didn't feel like it offered the kind of soundstage I liked.

The Corda stuff is way underrated given all the hoopla that is made over RS gear. The HR-2 is better for brighter phones like CD3000, Beyer, Grado MDR-10 and the like. The Corda HA-2 MKII SE would be a far better amp for the 650s in my humble opinion. But that's my opinion.
wink.gif

Apr 23, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by stryker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah. I've auditioned both for a while with my 650s. I would choose Corda hands down. Better soundstage and more neutral. That's what 650's need.

The stock opamps in the HR-2 are just too sweet for 650s. The HR-2 may have better bass and "blackness" but the soundstage is awful and despite other people's like for the HR-2, I didn't like that very important aspect of the sound. Even when I rolled in other opamps, I didn't feel like it offered the kind of soundstage I liked.

The Corda stuff is way underrated given all the hoopla that is made over RS gear. The HR-2 is better for brighter phones like CD3000, Beyer, Grado MDR-10 and the like. The Corda HA-2 MKII SE would be a far better amp for the 650s in my humble opinion. But that's my opinion.
wink.gif

x2 I would have to agree with the above thread. Meier amps, although held in high regard by some, are underrated compared to others... weird..
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back