Corda HA-1 vs. Meta 42 amps: What to Expect
Nov 9, 2002 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Peter_S

100+ Head-Fier
Hello All,

I'm looking for advice on an amplifier choice to use with Sennheiser HD600 headphones. Those who know these amps, can you please fill me (and the rest of us) in on: 1) what is the difference in features, 2) what is the difference in sonics, and 3) is there a difference in compatibility with the HD600's?

It's my understanding that both amps have crossfeed, and while the Corda is a plug-in-the-wall unit, the Meta 42 can be built for portable and home use if wanted. But beyond that, I know way too little! Please HELP!!!

(Also posted on Headwize... BTW, how much crossfeed is there b/t these two forums?)

Nov 9, 2002 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 9
Peter
The Corda HA-1 and META42 are of the same class but of a slightly different sound. If you are a DIYer and can follow Tangent's website, I'd build the META42 because you can get support for it easily on Head-Fi and can further tweak and upgrade it to your liking. If you'd rather a commercial product, the Corda is my favorite amp at its price point. If you'd like the META42 but don't want to build it yourself, contact JMT or KurtW.

Unfortunately I had my Corda HA-1 upgraded before receiving the META42 for review so I was never able to do a direct comparison. From my memory of it, the stock Corda HA-1 was perhaps a little grainy and not nearly as airy sounding as the META42 I auditioned. I imagine the META42 I heard may have cost a little more to build than parts for the HA-1 cost Meier. That's the price of doing business.

I clearly preferred the modded Corda to the META42 finding its treble region cleaner and more articulate with a better sense of depth and smoothness.

I have reviews of the Corda HA-1 / Corda Blue mods and the META42 in the amp reviews forum if you care to read them.

Nov 9, 2002 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 9
As usual, Kelly has it pretty well nailed.

I should add that most META42 amps don't have crossfeed. There are a lot of different ways to build a META42, so its hard to generalize. The META42 with double buffers that I compared to the stock Corda had better bass as well as sounding a bit more refined, but the modified Corda (also with double buffers but a different kind) was better yet. The new Pre-Head has triple buffers but is more expensive.

Nov 9, 2002 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 9
The META42 I heard employed the Linkwitz crossfeed which I found useful but preferred the Meier crossfeed in the Corda overall.

Nov 10, 2002 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 9
KurtW: Can I convince you to have a go at building an all-out MET42 for home use yet?
biggrin.gif
The more I read, the more I want one.

Nov 10, 2002 at 4:37 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by kin3tix
i suggest you just drop kurt a pm, as i have already
biggrin.gif
. i plan on the same thing, now i await my money to match it (which should be soon
redface.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Did so a few weeks ago. Kurt actually hasn't built an all-out home META42 yet, and suggested that I go elsewhere, or wait until he gathers some experience in that region of META42 building.
biggrin.gif

Currently, I've got a WTB: Corda HA-1 thread going, but no-one is biting. I'd rather a HA-1 over a META42 at the moment, second hand, they should run about the same. HA-1 has a great upgrade path now that KurtW has started the blue series. Too many choices, not enough money...
tongue.gif

Nov 10, 2002 at 8:34 AM Post #9 of 9
I'm going crazy over here wondering about what I am missing out on.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back