Corda HA-1 MkII - significant improvement on G&W TW-J1?
Aug 31, 2005 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

amartignano

1000+ Head-Fier
Italy - Knife Edge in other forums in the world
Hi everyone.

As title says... I have a G&W Tw-J1 to drive my Beyer DT880 (and the DT990 in few days...).
I'm happy with its sound.

But the Corda HA-1 appeals me very much.

Are the Corda Ha-1 a significant improvement over the G&W?

thanx and bye
Andrea

Ps. my G&W is not one of the "lemons", and it performs very well, yes, the comparison with a Rudi Rp-33 is clearly won by the Rp33, but not that much as the price difference would have suggested.

Aug 31, 2005 at 11:23 AM Post #2 of 10
If I had to scale on amp for driving the dt880 I'd very likely take more far the plunge and get an HA2 at least .. this in the meier line
..but really if i had to pair the dt 880 and upgrade an amp I'm yet happy with ,i definitely would get something beefy with a soul.. ( ?singlepower )
I'd like also to hear a raptor with dt880 , and probably I'd step on one if i found one used ( I yet spot it on the FS forum )

Aug 31, 2005 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks, boodi. I understand what you mean... if I have to make a step, better is if this step is big. I'm now very happy indeed with the g&w.

But I have to admit that the sounds that came from the Rp33+DT880 combo was truly a marvel to behold.
smily_headphones1.gif

But I don't have now enough money...
frown.gif
wink.gif

bye
Andrea

Aug 31, 2005 at 12:45 PM Post #5 of 10
Hi EdipisReks

First, I quote your sig:
Björk is a Goddess True!
smily_headphones1.gif

and... hail to Robert Fripp!
wink.gif

Can you tell me something about the crossfeed effect of the corda HA-1? Does it have a good effect on music?

thanx
Andrea

Aug 31, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
Hi EdipisReks

First, I quote your sig:

True!
smily_headphones1.gif

biggrin.gif

Quote:

Can you tell me something about the crossfeed effect of the corda HA-1? Does it have a good effect on music?

thanx
Andrea

i like the crossfeed with certain music, especially older jazz and rock. the Meier crossfeed makes the sound slightly brighter than normal, but it makes music that is heavily separated sound a lot better to my ear. it's a fairly subtle change, but for stuff like the Beatles and Coltrane it works wonders. i no longer have the Corda, but at some point i'm probably going to get the Corda crossfeed unit for use with my PPX3.

Aug 31, 2005 at 12:50 PM Post #7 of 10
Have you tested the crossfeed with classical/symphonic music?

Aug 31, 2005 at 1:14 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
Have you tested the crossfeed with classical/symphonic music?

in my experience symphonic music, even if the recording is older, doesn't benefit that much from crossfeed as the sound balance is pretty good. usually even on old stereo recordings the violins and half the violas fill the left channel and the other half of the violas along with cellos and basses fill the other, so you don't get a weird feeling of extreme separation.

Aug 31, 2005 at 1:23 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
in my experience symphonic music, even if the recording is older, doesn't benefit that much from crossfeed as the sound balance is pretty good. usually even on old stereo recordings the violins and half the violas fill the left channel and the other half of the violas along with cellos and basses fill the other, so you don't get a weird feeling of extreme separation.

Agree, in good classical recording with few microphones there is a good aomount of "natural" crossfeed in the recording itself. That's the reason why I asked it. You confirmed my idea.

bye
Andrea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back