Corda Aria vs. Presonus central station
Feb 27, 2006 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Banach

Head-Fier
Has anyone made a direct comparison between central station phoneamp section and corda aria? Are they in the same league? Both seem to be worth the money. I have in mind akg k 701 to hook up in one of those two. I will appreciate your comments.

Feb 27, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 13
Man..tough one. I'll be very interested in any feedback here as well..

Feb 27, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 13
Well corda aria has nice crossfeed feature. I use it 100% of time
smily_headphones1.gif

Presonus has dac with lots of inputs included and preamp if you need that for something.

But dont really know how comparable are those as amps. I find my aria good and seems to get lot of good comments here.

Feb 28, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #4 of 13
Thank you guys for the comments. Anyone else?

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Banach
Has anyone made a direct comparison between central station phoneamp section and corda aria? Are they in the same league? Both seem to be worth the money. I have in mind akg k 701 to hook up in one of those two. I will appreciate your comments.

The central station amp sounds very flat (ie lacks depth), a bit cold, and aggressively in-your-face with little to no soundstage. I suppose this is ok with some non-transparent headphones like grado (which is already flat sounding and aggressive) or those with a distant midrange, but not with the k701. It is not in the same league as the corda aria-- far from it imo-- the aria is *much* better.

That said, both are worth the money. To use as a home dac, I'd say the presonus is a far better value than the microdac or some garage made diy.

Mar 2, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
The central station amp sounds very flat (ie lacks depth), a bit cold, and aggressively in-your-face with little to no soundstage. I suppose this is ok with some non-transparent headphones like grado (which is already flat sounding and aggressive) or those with a distant midrange, but not with the k701. It is not in the same league as the corda aria-- far from it imo-- the aria is *much* better.

That said, both are worth the money. To use as a home dac, I'd say the presonus is a far better value than the microdac or some garage made diy.

I am confused
confused.gif
. What do you mean "both are worth the money" if they cost about the same and ARIA is much better (at least as an amp)?

Mar 2, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by visia
I am confused
confused.gif
. What do you mean "both are worth the money" if they cost about the same and ARIA is much better (at least as an amp)?

Central Station is a DAC/headphone amp/pre-amp.
Actually the pre-amp section is the main selling point. It is a paasive design using mechanical relays and resistor networks.
For its asking price, you can't even get a comparable passive pre-amp in the audiophile market, not to mention all the added functions.

That being said I don't think Central Station HP amp is flat, cold and in-your-face. Yes, Benchmarks DAC1's amp is a bit flat, cold and in-your-face, and in my house it is used specifically for SR225. I would not plug my K501 into it. My K501 is mostly powered by Central Station, and sometimes by my tube amp, too. When I listened to Central Station side-by-side with Grace m902 at a meet, the difference was minute at best. Central Station sounds at least as good as the Hornet at the meet. I never heard Corda Aria. The only amp I heard that is significantly better than Central Station is dynahi.

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

I am confused
confused.gif

Central station is worth the money as a dac/preamp. The aria is worth the money as a headphone amp. Also, when I said the aria is much better as an amp, I was using cs as the source!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
Central Station sounds at least as good as the Hornet at the meet. I never heard Corda Aria.

I never heard the hornet, but I do have the sr-71 and I prefer it over the presonus' amp.

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #9 of 13
Fair enough. How does it stack up against other DACs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
Central station is worth the money as a dac/preamp. The aria is worth the money as a headphone amp. Also, when I said the aria is much better as an amp, I was using cs as the source!

I never heard the hornet, but I do have the sr-71 and I prefer it over the presonus' amp.

Mar 2, 2006 at 9:10 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Fair enough. How does it stack up against other DACs?

Really good, see my review here:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=155336

BTW, I have better DAC and amp at home than Central Station, so don't count me as a fanboy. I bought it as a preamp. I am just delighted that it also has good DAC and HP amp sections.

Mar 2, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #11 of 13
By the way, from what I understand, Presonus uses very similar DAC to EMU-0404. In that sense (and I am talking just about DAC, not pre-amp or amp), would it be a significant upgrade over EMU?

Mar 2, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx

By the way, what about the DAC part? Its sounds from the description of the Aria's DAC: "Built-in USB-DAC (PCM2704, 16 bit, 32/44/48 kHz)" that it should be far inferior to Presonus? Is that really a concern though, i.e. would there be a significant difference between the same file playing through EMU0404 - digital out - Presonus - external amp versus USB - Aria - same external amp?

Another question about Presonus, do you think it can be used as a preamp for SuperMacro? Xin suggests using 2 amps as a combo, I wonder if that would work with Central Station.

Mar 4, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

would there be a significant difference between the same file playing through EMU0404 - digital out - Presonus - external amp versus USB - Aria - same external amp?

The Aria's dac has less detail and is less vibrant to my ears than the presonus-- the difference is easy enough to spot without a switch box. But I wouldn't describe it as "far inferior" -- the aria's dac is close to the emu0404.

Quote:

Another question about Presonus, do you think it can be used as a preamp for SuperMacro? Xin suggests using 2 amps as a combo, I wonder if that would work with Central Station.

You can, since both of the presonus' outputs have volume control. I use it as preamp for my sr71/portaphile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back