Corda 2Move vs. Headamp Pico vs. RSA Predator
Nov 10, 2008 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

dadozen

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, as you can see in my sig, I already own a Corda 2Move and a Corda XXS. Most of the time I use the 2Move with my laptop and the XXS on-the-go with my iPod Classic. I love their sound, but I also understand that there might be some others portable amps with better sounding and different sound signatures.

I'm decided to buy a Meier Cantate to pair with my Senns HD650, but my question is:

Would I have a better sounding with a DAC/AMP combo Pico, from Headamp, that will be worth the money it costs? I mean, it has a lot of advantages: it uses a Wolfson DAC chip, it´s very small and portable, very good looking, seems very durable, and the amp circuit is very different from what I'm used to listen( Meier's sound signature ) so I'm very interested to test it out. Or should I just get satisfied with my 2Move/XXS since the sound quality difference won't be that big? I know it's very subjective, but opinions are always good to listen( and read
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Another option would be the RSA Predator, but many head-fi'ers rank the Pico one level above it, so I'm with this tiny amp in my head.

I have some guys in mind to answer this question from me, like skylab and jamato8( they have probably heard both
smily_headphones1.gif
) but any Pico and Predator owners, feel free to post your opinions. I just want to start a polemic
atsmile.gif
and try to make my mind clear
wink.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #2 of 21
I have heard both the Predator and the Pico and prefer the Predator hands down. Ray's amps have a very particular sound that is so musical and so fantastic. I think a lot of people like it better than the Pico, have seen both amps preferred. I just feel the Pred has a more musical less anylitical sound. That's just me.

Nov 10, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jchristensenlovesaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard both the Predator and the Pico and prefer the Predator hands down. Ray's amps have a very particular sound that is so musical and so fantastic. I think a lot of people like it better than the Pico, have seen both amps preferred. I just feel the Pred has a more musical less anylitical sound. That's just me.

That´s really not my question. I already own the 2Move, so I want to know if the difference between it and the Pico OR the Predator would be worth the cost. Thanks for your input though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulybatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would sell the 2move and get an Ibasso D3

After reading about so many quality problems with the Ibassos I really don't have them in mind.

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #5 of 21
Since you already have 2 portable amps and you're amping HD650, I'd recommend you to wait for the DAC only version of Pico and probably a used home amp, something like used GLite or some DIY amps.

Nov 10, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 21
A vote for the predator amp here while I do not own a predator I have listened to one and was very impressed. I personally own a tomahawk and sr-71a from them and one of my friends recently went from a pico to predator and told me he preffered the predator hands down
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #9 of 21
Thanks for the inputs guys, but I must admit that it didn't help much, regardinh my decision
biggrin.gif

But all your opinions are valid, it's just too hard to decide between them. Maybe I just stay with my Corda amps, get a Cantate and a better cable for my HD650s.

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #10 of 21
I have heard both the Pico and the Predator. I agree with the predominant opinions on this forum that the amp is better on the predator than the Pico, and the Dac is better on the Pico than the Predator. I have owned the Predator for about a year now and has just recently added the SR-71A. I think the SR-71a may be even a little bit better than the Predator in terms of Amp sq with 130 hrs burn-in. Good luck.

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #11 of 21
When the Predator sounds similar to the giant, dualmono desktop RPX-33... I'd say I'm pretty darn impressed with the sound of my fully burned in Predator.

I almost picked up a Pico for kicks just to try, but ended up picking up an Ultra Micro DAC from Headroom instead. Holy crap does this DAC + the Predator knock my socks off. Plug in any headphone. Especially the UE11.
very_evil_smiley.gif

To answer the OP, I think that if you value the effects of a good DAC (crispy, accurate sound) try the Pico and if you value the effects of a good amp (warm, full sound) try the Predator. I don't know much about the 2Move, but it seems to be in a lesser category.

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #12 of 21
wow this must sound awesome
smily_headphones1.gif

Why don't you replace the Predator with a SR-71A?

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm definitely considering it. Seems managing the batteries would suck, though.

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When the Predator sounds similar to the giant, dualmono desktop RPX-33... I'd say I'm pretty darn impressed with the sound of my fully burned in Predator.

Wow, is this for real ? May be I should pull off the purchase of the NX-03 and get the Predator instead....

Nov 11, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Haha okay you have a point. Now that I have a good external DAC, this is totally reasonable.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've just made a For Trade post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back