Copper vs Silver...MEASURED (surprising)
Feb 17, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #18 of 206
Very interesting at least some data showing the differences between copper and silver

at least some evidence that there exists a difference between two cables prices similary that do a similar thing...

if you want to be more precise. 

even though that the differences can come from any other variables, the thing that there IS a difference is great to see! but i think that after reading this i should just stick to the cheaper cable that comes with e12, right?

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #19 of 206
  at least some evidence that there exists a difference between two cables prices similary that do a similar thing...

if you want to be more precise. 

even though that the differences can come from any other variables, the thing that there IS a difference is great to see! but i think that after reading this i should just stick to the cheaper cable that comes with e12, right?

IS this a fiio headphone cable?

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #21 of 206
In defense of Theo: He's right when he states that there is some evidence – in my book: that these two cables could sound different. This in the context of the «fact» that all cables measure and thus sound the same. If it's due to silver and copper is another subject.

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #22 of 206
That would mean that a 100 inch long copper cable and a 106 inch long silver cable are about the same.

Yup.

It's misleading to speak of (or implicate) conductivity as a measure for cable quality = sound quality. In view of the high input impedances of electronics components coductivity is a competely unimportant criterion.

Feb 17, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #24 of 206
It's misleading to speak of (or implicate) conductivity as a measure for cable quality = sound quality. In view of the high input impedances of electronics components coductivity is a competely unimportant criterion.

There was no such implication. My answer to the question was in the context of all else being equal. Because if all else is not equal then you're simply not comparing copper to silver and the subject of this thread is highly misleading.

What I said previously was that conductivity was the only thing that the METALS THEMSELVES bring to the table. The rest is a function of geometry and dielectric properties.

So if you say conductivity is a completely unimportant criteria, then whether the metal used is copper or silver is also an equally completely unimportant criteria.

se

Feb 17, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #25 of 206
ahhh he's talking about the mini to mini i presume then?

What he's doing is comparing "this cable" to "that cable" not knowing anything about the two cables other than one purports to use copper and the other silver.

We know nothing of the other properties, such as wire gauges used, construction geometry, dielectric materials, etc. But if you want to try and look at differences between copper and silver, then the ONLY difference should be the metal itself. Everything else about the cable such as wire gauge, construction geometry, dielectric materials, etc. need to be IDENTICAL for both cables. Otherwise, you're changing variables OTHER than just the metal used and you can't say you're comparing copper to silver.

se

Feb 17, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #26 of 206
So if you say conductivity is a completely unimportant criteria, then whether the metal used is copper or silver is also an equally completely unimportant criteria.

I haven't pretended the opposite so far. On the other hand, my own experience sais that it may very well have an importance, and I'm not alone. In turn I haven't heard somebody pretend that cables with low resistance offer an inherent advantage. The conductivity argument, especially when it comes to possible sonic effects of silver, has an unmerited weight in cable discussions.

Feb 17, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #27 of 206
On the other hand, my own experience sais that it may very well have an importance, and I'm not alone.

Then you'll have to come up with some previously completely undiscovered property beside conductivity that copper or silver brings to the table.

Also, since this thread is about measurements, I'm going to ask that it be moved to the Sound Science forum.

se

Feb 17, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #28 of 206
Then you'll have to come up with some previously completely undiscovered property beside conductivity that copper or silver brings to the table.

Also, since this thread is about measurements, I'm going to ask that it be moved to the Sound Science forum.

Yes, initially I thought it would fit the Sound Science forum better. But then I won't participate anymore.

Feb 17, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #30 of 206
No, not at all, I like science. But I have nothing to contribute in this context which would be of value for the Sound Science forum. I was there for a while some time ago, and by hindsight it was fruitless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back