coolest thing ever done in a MMORPG or what..?
Mar 10, 2006 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

asmox

Headphoneus Supremus
This happened a while ago, but.. wow. The sheer amount of time, effort, and planning that went into this is just an incredible testament to the community and game design. I quit Eve shortly after the beta, but damn.. this sorta makes me want to play again :/

http://eve.klaki.net/heist/

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #2 of 22
I don't get it...
confused.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #3 of 22
That is great. I wish my computer had enough clout to run MMORPGs.

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 22
Wow, that is cool as hell.

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:50 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
eek.gif

And I thought the weirdest things was a wedding in Everquest

Man... Did I witness one too many of those back in my days playing Everquest. I think I went to like 3 every month. Some people even ended up getting married in real life, which is cool, sort of like online dating, but I thought the cyber relationships were a little odd.

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:15 AM Post #8 of 22
I think that is damn impressive. Even within the rules. I wonder if that has any real world applications?

Mar 10, 2006 at 9:04 AM Post #10 of 22
Wow! I generally don't really get MMORPGs... but that is just amazing! Makes me want to sign up!

Mar 10, 2006 at 9:25 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZI
I don't get it...
confused.gif

In short, there's this massive corporation (guild) in Eve Online called Ubiqua Seraph. Somebody put a contract out on their leader, and sold the contract to a corporation called the Guiding Hand Social Club for 1 billion ISK (Eve currency). The GHSC - a corporation specializing in infilitration, thievery, and assassination - spent over a year infiltrating every rank of Ubiqua Seraph's operations, and they even had someone get so close to the target that he actually managed to influence entire guild policies.. they called him something silly like the Valentine Operative, lol. Anyway, he convinced the target to fly with him (in her flagship, worth billions), next to his own flagship (worth even more) in a "show of power" for their corporation. In the end.. there was an ambush set up where they destroyed her ship, destroyed the escape pod, and collected her body. At the same time, GHSC members on standby elsewhere ransacked all of Ubiqua Seraph's vaults and hangars (total value at over $16,000US) and fled, leaving painful notes in their place. A perfectly synchronized and devastating end to over a year of hard work and dedication. In the end - the GHSC was looking at a WHOLE lot more than what was offered to them originally in the contract. The employer only wanted the target's body, blasted from her escape pod, as proof.

..and all of this was played out in-character.

While some people might find this disgusting, I personally think the mere fact that the game design allows you to do something like this within the context of the rules (and on such a massive scale) is just stunning, and is a huge step forward in the realm of truly dynamic and player-driven persistent worlds.

Props to Guiding Hand for making that happen.. amazing. And props to the Eve dev team for crafting the finest and most innovative MMORPG out there today.

Mar 10, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #12 of 22
I have no idea of the mechinics of EVE but this could be turned into real money like the article says. They could sell of their plunder to 13 kids who have their daddy's credit card and don't want to take the time to advance.

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:15 PM Post #14 of 22
This does seem like some sort of advance compared to normal (read: boring) RPGs, but I won't ever play one (again) until some game institutes permadeath, which will bring the reality of MMORPGs to a whole new level.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back