Convince me to *not* get the LaRocco Headcode
Mar 12, 2006 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

PeeeMeS

1000+ Head-Fier
Recently I found out that I can get the LaRocco Headcode in a "portable" package.

I haven't gotten a pricequote back yet... but I'm already going crazy over the possibilities.

The problem?
I listen to portable setups only! If I can't carry it around and listen I won't consider buying it. That means to me there are basically no "high-end" portable sources availiable.
That means I'm limited to basically an iPod as a source. (Yes I can get an iModded iPod but if I get the headcode I won't have the $ ... to eat lol)

Currently I have a maxxed PPAv2. It sounds great with my K1000s + K701s but... here is a chance to *cure* my upgraditis(other than getting the iMod or NeurosIII if it ever comes out).

In terms of portable solutions, what can match Headcode -> K1000/K701?
This would truely be a no-compromise audio setup.

What is holding me back? The fact that for a portable solution, the headcode is overkill and won't sound any better than the PPA due to the source holding it back. Am I at the pinnacle of portable setups already? I've heard that the headcode has the ability to take HD650 into the territory of "balanced." Will the headcode blow me away? Or is my source(or lackthereof) setting me up for disappointment?

Mar 12, 2006 at 7:01 AM Post #3 of 22
Isn't the Headcode a full size stationary amp? How could you possibly carry it around? Would it even fit in a normal size bag? What would power it?

Mar 12, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
Isn't the Headcode a full size stationary amp? How could you possibly carry it around? Would it even fit in a normal size bag? What would power it?

It is, but I was informed that I can special order a "special" headcode that's the size of around 2 PPAs and designed for portable purposes
It would definitely fit inside my bookbag

When I started upgrading my portable setup, I heard stories about balanced HD650 being an orgasmic setup. I know RnB180 has been toying with the idea of a balanced portable setup for quite a long time
smily_headphones1.gif

When I heard that the HeadCode was able to take unbalanced headphones into "balanced territories" I knew this was the answer. Not having to recable all my 'phones will save me a lot of money. After hearing the HeadCode can come portable... I don't know, this could be the end of head-fi for me. This could be *it*

Mar 12, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
It is, but I was informed that I can special order a "special" headcode that's the size of around 2 PPAs and designed for portable purposes
It would definitely fit inside my bookbag

2 PPAs are still damn hefty. That rig is going to rival Kevin Gilmore's portable electrostatic rig for pure "WHA?" factor.

Plus, have pity on your lumbar!

Mar 12, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
2 PPAs are still damn hefty. That rig is going to rival Kevin Gilmore's portable electrostatic rig for pure "WHA?" factor.

Plus, have pity on your lumbar!

After all those years of carrying 5 lb books, I have built up an impressive physique.
biggrin.gif

Would you rather carry books? Or something that carries you into audio nirvana?
k1000smile.gif

Mar 12, 2006 at 7:35 AM Post #7 of 22
How long's the battery life?

Mar 12, 2006 at 10:58 AM Post #11 of 22
Can the portable Headcode swing the same amount of voltage and output the same amount of current as a stationary Headcode? That would be a bit surprising.

You could also ask Phil about the "Global Reference" which is a slightly bigger portable amp + DAC. I think a source upgrade, i.e. using a DAP with digital out (e.g. Iriver) going to a portable DAC (e.g. the one from Headroom), paired with a decent portable amp (Pocket Reference II, SR-71, etc.) would be a more sane upgrade than going with a portable Headcode from an Ipod. There's only so much an Ipod can do as a source and even though it's a fancy idea to go with a portable Headcode, I'm really not sure about its portability with regards to sturdiness, weight, size, ergononmics, etc.

Mar 12, 2006 at 11:46 AM Post #12 of 22
Instead of getting a portable Headcode,have you considered getting a Blackgated Pocket Ref.II and maybe that Red wine..Red something mod for the Ipod ?

That way, you'll have a great sounding mp3 player that's a cut above anything on store shelves and still have a very very very nice portable amp....this might be more tangible cost wise.

Plus be a little easier to carry around...just food for thought....

Mar 12, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #13 of 22
Here's a link to the portable amp that I have:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=89577

Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Can the portable Headcode swing the same amount of voltage and output the same amount of current as a stationary Headcode? That would be a bit surprising.

You could also ask Phil about the "Global Reference" which is a slightly bigger portable amp + DAC. I think a source upgrade, i.e. using a DAP with digital out (e.g. Iriver) going to a portable DAC (e.g. the one from Headroom), paired with a decent portable amp (Pocket Reference II, SR-71, etc.) would be a more sane upgrade than going with a portable Headcode from an Ipod. There's only so much an Ipod can do as a source and even though it's a fancy idea to go with a portable Headcode, I'm really not sure about its portability with regards to sturdiness, weight, size, ergononmics, etc.

When I bought my PPA, I was told that it wasn't considered a PPA but rather an upgraded Global Reference(so yea, it is amp+dac)

Quote:

Originally Posted by twc5964
Instead of getting a portable Headcode,have you considered getting a Blackgated Pocket Ref.II and maybe that Red wine..Red something mod for the Ipod ?

That way, you'll have a great sounding mp3 player that's a cut above anything on store shelves and still have a very very very nice portable amp....this might be more tangible cost wise.

Plus be a little easier to carry around...just food for thought....

I was under the impression that the amp I have is superior to the blackgated pocket reference II
I haven't done any head to head comparisons to the PRII so I don't know

Mar 12, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43

I'm thinking 6 car batteries on a two wheel cart, or a Honda Electric Gas Generator should do the trick
wink.gif

Mar 12, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #15 of 22
What I've noticed, in my experience, is that you CANNOT really enjoy music when on the go. Well not as much as when sitting down in a quiet environment. Unless you are constantly on the go and have quiet places to use the portable set up, I don't think spending this much is practical... unless you have money to throw away!
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back