Convince me the ATH-R70X aren't the best headphones ever made under $1000
Sep 8, 2020 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

silent-circuit

Headphoneus Supremus
So far they're taking on all comers up to and including the $600 Sendy Audio AIVA (both run balanced off a Schiit Jotunheim 2 with Multibit DAC module). I have new pads on order for the AIVA I'm told will close the gap.

Also have the Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Topping D50 and Little Dot MK2 with a couple tube sets for an alternate source, in the interest of being completely fair.

I have both Denon AH-D7200 and Focal Elegia on the way, so they're about to have serious closed back competition.

Sep 9, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 8
It sounds like you really like them, which is great. Sound preference is subjective. Have you tried both sennheiser models? Hd650 and 600? Is the 1k mark for new or used? Focal clears, quad era 1, hd800, and others are all under 1k used.

Sep 9, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #3 of 8
It sounds like you really like them, which is great. Sound preference is subjective. Have you tried both sennheiser models? Hd650 and 600? Is the 1k mark for new or used? Focal clears, quad era 1, hd800, and others are all under 1k used.

I'd had a few beers when the above was written, but still stand by it, for the most part. Obviously was being more than a little bombastic, but for $350 if you enjoy a fairly flat sound signature they're great.

They certainly have flaws, the biggest likely being that they're not very easy to drive and require a stout amp. They don't sound terrible even off the little XB10 bluetooth receiver, though, so... As long as you don't listen very loud you can probably get away with less.

I've heard the HD6XX, but not the 600 or 650, and they're a friend's, I don't have them on hand to compare. Will the next I see him, though.

As for new or used for the (completely arbitrary) $1000 price point? Considering the ATH-R70X is $350, let's say we keep the competition under $1000 new.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 8
Never drink and demo! ha!

I preferred the hd600 over the 650, but you'll find plenty of others that "go the other way." :)

Under 1k new. Hmmm. I would try to demo some sennheisers, all the way up to the 660S. Several great closed back headphones, such as the fostex line, and the emu-teak. Beyerdynamic amiron is a very nice sounding and very, very comfortable headphone. I preferred its sound signature over the dt1990. The T1 I haven't heard, but its worth trying out.

The quad era 1 is under 1k, as it several hifiman headphones, such as the sundara and ananda. I've heard good things about the DCA aeon 2, but i'm gun shy about trying them, as I often find their brand to have unengaging sound signatures. Anyhoo, there are LOTS of options to try under 1k :).

Sep 10, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 8
Never drink and demo! ha!

I preferred the hd600 over the 650, but you'll find plenty of others that "go the other way." :)

Under 1k new. Hmmm. I would try to demo some sennheisers, all the way up to the 660S. Several great closed back headphones, such as the fostex line, and the emu-teak. Beyerdynamic amiron is a very nice sounding and very, very comfortable headphone. I preferred its sound signature over the dt1990. The T1 I haven't heard, but its worth trying out.

The quad era 1 is under 1k, as it several hifiman headphones, such as the sundara and ananda. I've heard good things about the DCA aeon 2, but i'm gun shy about trying them, as I often find their brand to have unengaging sound signatures. Anyhoo, there are LOTS of options to try under 1k :).

I think it's pretty telling that I got a pair Denon AH-D7200 and Focal Elegia in the mail today, and while I'm thrilled with them (I owned no good closed backs, decided to go big) I've gone back to the R70X as a reference a few times already.

Also got a copy of Sonarworks and have been playing with that. It's been a big day.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 8
I love my R70X, but haven't had that much experience with other headphones in or above the price range. I'll say they were much better to me than the Hifiman Deva I replaced them with.

Definitely hard to drive, but these days I don't think it is necessarily expensive to do so. I feel like I'm not missing out on anything with the R70X paired with my Magni Heresy on low gain, have you noticed any discernible difference through a higher powered balanced output?

Sep 10, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 8
I love my R70X, but haven't had that much experience with other headphones in or above the price range. I'll say they were much better to me than the Hifiman Deva I replaced them with.

Definitely hard to drive, but these days I don't think it is necessarily expensive to do so. I feel like I'm not missing out on anything with the R70X paired with my Magni Heresy on low gain, have you noticed any discernible difference through a higher powered balanced output?

Does the balanced output make a difference? Not sure as that's the only way I've ever used them - I've only had them about a month and a half, got them with a balanced cable, and have run them off the Jotunheim 2 or the A&K XB10. I'll try them with the standard cable and let you know at some point. To be fair I don't claim to have golden ears -- don't know if I'll be able to tell a difference, but we'll see.

Sep 10, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #8 of 8
I’ll put the HE-500’s as a contender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back