Converting WMA > mp3...
Jul 6, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #2 of 10

ptl

New Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 28, 2007
Posts
47
Likes
10
MP3 is a lossy format, so conversion from 192k WMA will always sacrifice quality. The only option you have would be to recreate the MP3s from the original source CDs.
 
Jul 6, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 10

krmathis

Head-Fi's Most Prolific Poster
Joined
Jan 13, 2004
Posts
34,764
Likes
74
It simply can't be done without sacrificing quality.
Since they are both lossy codecs. Decode the WMA to PCM (WAV, AIFF, ...) means no quality loss. But then encoding the PCM to MP3 will lead to data loss.

The resulting MP3 file will most probably have a lower grade of sound quality thatn the source WMA file.
 
Jul 7, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #4 of 10

Safari

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 7, 2008
Posts
4
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It simply can't be done without sacrificing quality.
Since they are both lossy codecs. Decode the WMA to PCM (WAV, AIFF, ...) means no quality loss. But then encoding the PCM to MP3 will lead to data loss.

The resulting MP3 file will most probably have a lower grade of sound quality thatn the source WMA file.




+1 can`t disagree

if I have such problem I use MelodyCan converter. I think it has better conversion quality then other converters. But it depends on your CPU so better to try free trial or smth like that

good luck
wink.gif
 
Jul 7, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #5 of 10

progo

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 14, 2007
Posts
1,592
Likes
14
In theory the wma -> 320 kbit/s mp3 will be the way to get files to mp3 with minimal losses. There might or might not be audible differences.
 
Jul 7, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #6 of 10

Nilosaur

New Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 29, 2007
Posts
24
Likes
0
Thanks for the assistance, everyone. I realized that I can't change the tags or volume of WMAs so I might end up converting them to mp3s.

I'm no audiophile at all, the headphones I use are modded FX33s and KSC75s. If I convert my 128-192kbps WMAs to 160-192kbps mp3s, will I be able to notice a substantial loss in quality?
 
Jul 7, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #7 of 10

HipHopScribe

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Posts
1,904
Likes
686
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilosaur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the assistance, everyone. I realized that I can't change the tags or volume of WMAs so I might end up converting them to mp3s.

I'm no audiophile at all, the headphones I use are modded FX33s and KSC75s. If I convert my 128-192kbps WMAs to 160-192kbps mp3s, will I be able to notice a substantial loss in quality?



The only way to know that is to test it yourself, use LAME when you convert, and use VBR rather than CBR, then test the new files to see if you hear a drop in quality.
 
Jul 8, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #10 of 10

krmathis

Head-Fi's Most Prolific Poster
Joined
Jan 13, 2004
Posts
34,764
Likes
74
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In theory the wma -> 320 kbit/s mp3 will be the way to get files to mp3 with minimal losses. There might or might not be audible differences.


Interesting!
What makes using WMA a "better" source for transcoding to MP3, than lets AAC, MP3, or OGG Vorbis? I am curious as they are all lossy codecs, which mean they throw away data on encoding.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top