Converting WMA > mp3...
Jul 6, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #2 of 10
MP3 is a lossy format, so conversion from 192k WMA will always sacrifice quality. The only option you have would be to recreate the MP3s from the original source CDs.

Jul 6, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 10
It simply can't be done without sacrificing quality.
Since they are both lossy codecs. Decode the WMA to PCM (WAV, AIFF, ...) means no quality loss. But then encoding the PCM to MP3 will lead to data loss.

The resulting MP3 file will most probably have a lower grade of sound quality thatn the source WMA file.

Jul 7, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It simply can't be done without sacrificing quality.
Since they are both lossy codecs. Decode the WMA to PCM (WAV, AIFF, ...) means no quality loss. But then encoding the PCM to MP3 will lead to data loss.

The resulting MP3 file will most probably have a lower grade of sound quality thatn the source WMA file.

+1 can`t disagree

if I have such problem I use MelodyCan converter. I think it has better conversion quality then other converters. But it depends on your CPU so better to try free trial or smth like that

good luck
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #5 of 10
In theory the wma -> 320 kbit/s mp3 will be the way to get files to mp3 with minimal losses. There might or might not be audible differences.

Jul 7, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for the assistance, everyone. I realized that I can't change the tags or volume of WMAs so I might end up converting them to mp3s.

I'm no audiophile at all, the headphones I use are modded FX33s and KSC75s. If I convert my 128-192kbps WMAs to 160-192kbps mp3s, will I be able to notice a substantial loss in quality?

Jul 7, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilosaur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the assistance, everyone. I realized that I can't change the tags or volume of WMAs so I might end up converting them to mp3s.

I'm no audiophile at all, the headphones I use are modded FX33s and KSC75s. If I convert my 128-192kbps WMAs to 160-192kbps mp3s, will I be able to notice a substantial loss in quality?

The only way to know that is to test it yourself, use LAME when you convert, and use VBR rather than CBR, then test the new files to see if you hear a drop in quality.

Jul 8, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In theory the wma -> 320 kbit/s mp3 will be the way to get files to mp3 with minimal losses. There might or might not be audible differences.

Interesting!
What makes using WMA a "better" source for transcoding to MP3, than lets AAC, MP3, or OGG Vorbis? I am curious as they are all lossy codecs, which mean they throw away data on encoding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back