Converting voltage from 110V to 230V. Using American amps in Europe.
Oct 20, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #16 of 22
Lad27,

This is what I posted in DYI section not too long ago:

"Thank you guys for all your input and the time you spent on research and posting.

I have pulled the trigger and bought that Melos. $349 seems to be a good price, I think. I have made many calls today and some companies that work with modding audio gear in Poland told me that all I need is a good voltage transformer with the right wattage, just like Fallen Angel told me. Also, I talked to some audiophiles in my area and they told me they want to buy that Melos from me. So if it doesn't work, I will sell it. Lets hope it will reach me in one working piece. I will let you know how things turn out."

I am glad to read you confirm that there are no real issues with voltage. Melos' box says "1A". With that in mind 200VA transformer should be OK?

I will let you know when my Melos reach me, maybe post some photos.

Thank you!

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #17 of 22
If Melos box says 1A, 200VA trafo is OK. Whereas Melos AC input is 110V at 1A it is designed to operate at ~100W. So you'll have almost double power headroom available. Better this way than pushing trafo right to the top of its power rating (it will run hotter).

Good price for Melos, no wonder few other guys are interested.
smile.gif

Lad

Oct 21, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #19 of 22
I have a MAD HD+ and an SP MPX3 Slam SE that were delivered with 230V/50 hZ. I buy most of my equipment in North America, but use it in Denmark, so I have to have this.

Yes, some amps can be rewired with minimum fuss, if they have a dual primary. However, some require a different power supply. You have to ask the mfr.

Yes, you can use a transformer, but buy an audio quality teroidal transformer with high quality caps. Most commercial transformers hum.

Oct 21, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #20 of 22
If you end up with a stepdown, make sure it has a high VA rating. I don't know what that is, but when I bought a small stepdown for my Grado RA-1 amp, it had a lowish VA rating, buzzed like a bee and blew up the power supply. I had to get a friend to make a new power supply for 240v Aussie voltage, he charged me $100.

Oct 21, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you end up with a stepdown, make sure it has a high VA rating. I don't know what that is, but when I bought a small stepdown for my Grado RA-1 amp, it had a lowish VA rating, buzzed like a bee and blew up the power supply. I had to get a friend to make a new power supply for 240v Aussie voltage, he charged me $100.

$10 says it blew up b/c of frequency difference...

Sep 10, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #22 of 22
One cool trick, (though the topic is quite old). You can pick up pretty powerful transformer with decent powerful 6.3 heater voltage
(quite more powerful than the total heater + plate current of your amp ).
Connect the 6.3v out of that tranny to the heater 6.3 voltage connections of your tube amp. Leave unconnected the power chord
cable of the amp. Your amp will work like a charm.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back