Converting FLAC to ALAC on Macs
Sep 12, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #18 of 46
Thought I would bump an old thread rather than start a new one. I have just started using MAX and was wondering if I can rip straight into Apple Lossless or do I need to first rip into AIFF or WAV and then convert to Apple Lossless. What is the best way?

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #19 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just started using MAX and was wondering if I can rip straight into Apple Lossless

Yes, you can. Just go to Preferences > Formats and double-click the first MPEG4-Audio entry. Choose Apple Lossless from the list and click OK. If you have set up other format, just make sure MPEG4-Audio (Apple Lossless) is the one checked as active at the time you rip CDs.

Sep 12, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There actualy is an easy alternative, and it pretty much the best for transcoding on a Mac. It's called Max
biggrin.gif

I use that for all my conversions, as I rip in EAC on the PC to ALAC, then transcode to ALAC on the Mac. I normally set it to process 10 files at a time; took a few hours only for my entire library, and it keeps all the tags in-tact.

This. Max is my #1 go to program for all Mac converting

Sep 13, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmm, i tried using dbpoweramp but the resultant alac files seems to have some kind of error and it skip when i try to play them on my ipod. Is there a windows equivalent for max? thanks for your help.

Try updating/reinstalling. I have no problems whatsoever with dBPowerAmp ALAC->ALAC running in iTunes or on my iPod and I'm using a Windows PC
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

PERFECT... thanks Jaska!

Are there any other presets worth checking off in order to get the best quality rip when making an Apple Lossless copy for iTunes?

You're welcome. Max is great, and really the primary tool I use on my Mac for conversions from my main FLAC library to Apple Lossless for iTunes, etc. It's the best FLAC > ALAC converter there is, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know if you want to consider any other ripping software at this point now that you've started with Max, but my personal feeling is that XLD is better in this regard, mostly because it works with AccurateRip and handles drive offsets as one would expect.

So, if your main intended use of an audio converter / ripper is to rip CDs directly to Apple Lossless for use with iTunes and other Apple-related stuff, I would have to say that XLD is probably the way to go. For transcoding files, Max is wonderful. Since I do all of my CD ripping on my PC with dBpoweramp, Max is the best fit for my own needs.

Sep 13, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #24 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by b17m4p /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the people on windows who can't use Max, getting a FLAC output plugin for iTunes is another option right? Unless you want to sync to stock firmware ipod.

I haven't heard about such a plugin, but I'm sure Google could help. dBPowerAmp converts an album in less than a minute on a basic dual-core PC. It makes much more sense, and the alac files can be used on a stock firmware iPod.
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimVincible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try updating/reinstalling. I have no problems whatsoever with dBPowerAmp ALAC->ALAC running in iTunes or on my iPod and I'm using a Windows PC
smily_headphones1.gif

Same here. I've done thousands of conversions (WAVE or FLAC to ALAC) with the dBpoweramp batch converter with no problems.
Used to rip to FLAC and WAVE but have recently begun ripping everything to ALAC to backup my music files.

Sep 13, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #26 of 46
- Max is great for converting between audio codecs/formats.
- Rip is great for ripping audio CDs.

Both applications are available from sbooth.org

Sep 13, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #28 of 46
krmathis, how stable is Rip? On the website it claims it is still in beta and not necessarily stable- how has your experience been. I am on SL with the latest iMac.

Jaska- thanks again. Although now I am confused, as I turned to Max after using just iTunes to rip my rather large (almost 2TB) of Apple Lossless music collection. And honestly have had no real complaints. However after acquiring the new Beatles Mono set, I have found myself curious if there is something better out there to get the best SQ to my Mac. I thought Max was it, but now I see that it is more notorious as a converter and perhaps my efforts are better geared toward either krmathis' suggestion (Rip) or yours (XLD).

To clarify, I am happy enough with the codec ALAC. I just want to make sure that from CD to computer file I am getting the most accurate copy.

Sep 13, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

krmathis, how stable is Rip?

Have had no major issue with it the last 6-7 months, but have to admit I have not ripped a CD with it since I updated to OS 10.6(.1).
Your mileage may vary though, so probably worth giving it a try on your own..

Sep 13, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #30 of 46
Well after a brief run thru of both Rip and XLD I can't say I am sold on either. Rip, would not query the disc info- I tried a few different Beatles discs and it came back unknown.

And XLD continued to unexpectedly quit on me every time I tried to enter in presets. So I was not able to get very far.

Perhaps I will just stick to iTunes as it has not really let me down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back