Convert Wireworld S-Video cable to Coaxial?
May 17, 2022 at 8:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

arjuna93

100+ Head-Fier
I have got an used Wireworld Silver Starlight S-Video cable – saw it on Mercari and couldn’t resist ordering. I don’t use S-Video however, and my idea was to convert it to coaxial. I have a spare set of Audio-Technica BNC terminals, which I bought for another reason but eventually didn’t require.
Now, S-Video apparently has two wires inside while coaxial needs a single one. So my question is: how to go about that? (I am not gonna do any mods personally, but I need to have a clear instruction to pass to an audio or electronics repair shop.)

P. S. In principle, I could also convert it to 2 RCA cables (cutting into halves), but a) I will need to buy two pair of RCA terminals, which won’t be cheap for anything good enough and gonna make the whole endeavor rather questionable, and b) I just don’t really need another pair of RCA interconnects – I got plenty of these, and do not have use cases for some (I have pure silver Ortofon cable lying around).
I am not in a need of a BNC coaxial cable too atm, but that makes better sense anyway and can be useful later.

May 17, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 7
Basically, don’t. It will have the wrong characteristic impedance for coaxial digital. For analog audio, it won’t matter though. You’d use the internal wires for signal and ground, and connect the shield to the ground at one end only.

May 17, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #3 of 7
Basically, don’t. It will have the wrong characteristic impedance for coaxial digital. For analog audio, it won’t matter though. You’d use the internal wires for signal and ground, and connect the shield to the ground at one end only.

S-Video is 75 Ohm. Won’t do?

May 20, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #4 of 7
S-Video is 75 Ohm. Won’t do?
Oh, my bad, so it is! I thought it was different. The S-video cable I just had a look at has dual-75 OHM cables internally, so you'd only use one of them for coax, if you were to convert it.

May 21, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 7
Oh, my bad, so it is! I thought it was different. The S-video cable I just had a look at has dual-75 OHM cables internally, so you'd only use one of them for coax, if you were to convert it.

And the second one use for ground?

May 22, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 7
And the second one use for ground?
An S-Video cable should be 2 coaxial pairs. The positive and shield of one pair could be used for coax. The other pair wouldn't be connected to anything. Any other combination of connection would result in the wrong characteristic impedance.

Jun 29, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 7
An S-Video cable should be 2 coaxial pairs. The positive and shield of one pair could be used for coax. The other pair wouldn't be connected to anything. Any other combination of connection would result in the wrong characteristic impedance.

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back