Convert DIY-T2 from 120v to 220V
Jun 22, 2018 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

paulpaul

Head-Fier
I would like to know whether it is possible to convert the power supply from 120v to 220v. Does it require to new transformers? Does the DIY-T2 design already 120V and 220V capable?

I am using a BHSE and have been longing for a T2.

Jun 22, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #2 of 6
Being a completely DIY project, all depends on what power transformer the builder spec’ed/used in his particular build.
Most use 2 X 115VAC primaries as is the custom on that other site. Those can be wired in parallel for 115VAC input, or wired in series for 230VAC input. Easy to change, sometimes with just a flip of a switch.
Some builders to cut cost, or do not care about other countries power grids, use single primary power transformers at either 115V or 230V (or other). With these you’re stuck with what input you can use.
If you are looking to buy a used DIY T2, ask the seller about your needs. He should be able to tell you if his amp can be used or modified to work on your native power.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #4 of 6
IDK, never heard any T2, original or DIY.

Kevin Gilmore did all the heavy lifting with designing the DIY T2, and from all regards, delivered the TOTL amp for STAX headphones. But note that all DIY T2s are custom built, so all will vary somewhat depending upon the individual part selection, physical layout and the builder’s skill level. There is not the same level of uniformity of end product like with a mass produced market item.

As for versions, go to that other site and start reading the DIY T2 thread. I haven’t kept up.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 6
If the amplifier was built with SumR transformers, then it is universal voltage.

If not, then you have to contact the builder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back