Convert DAC and Transports RCA COAX to BNC
Oct 31, 2008 at 3:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Pricklely Peete

Franken modder
Hi all,

How hard is it to convert the coax out (Transport) and coax in (DAC) over to BNC connections ? Is it a simple matter of swapping the jacks out and buying the correct cables to use with the new method of connection between digital devices ?

Somehow that seems to easy....so it must be wrong
biggrin.gif

I understand the BNC method is far superior to coax for carrying the 1's and 0's to their destinations and I would like to convert all of my DAC's and transports over to this superior method.

Another reason to do so is my reference level master DAC for the new main system (being built right now) has BNC input, 110 Ohm (XLR) balanced and RCA coax in. Of those 3 types, the manufacturer of the DAC highly recommends the BNC input over the other 2. Of course all 4 of my transports have either coax out only, or a combo of TOSlink and coax digital outs.

Any guidance on the subject would be highly appreciated gentlemen !!!

TIA,

Peete.

Oct 31, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just switch the RCA to BNC and you're good to go. Preferably use the transport that has a pulse transformer on the output, or if none do, add one.
wink.gif

Thanks FA.

Pulse transformer you say .....you know of a link for such a device or is it a common part ?

Peete.

PS: I'm having a look at this puppy....the Newava S22083 1:1 pulse transformer......about to check into the audiocircle thread for installation details. I'm pretty sure the one DAC I have has an input transformer.....near the SPDIF input and has a couple of WIMA coupling caps...hard to see for sure at this point all the parts surrounding it...need to pop the chassis lid. Here we go ...Part name and number is Sumlink ST-DV709 (4 pins / black rectangular cube )

The second question is, if this is a pulse transformer...would the transport still require a similar part ? I'm thinking yes.....One of my Transports (Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000 with all the upgrades) is supposed to have D+ coax out...they call it transformer coupled, the others do not have such a part. Same thing I imagine ? Thanks FA for any info you can provide....I'll be looking up the part number I just mentioned from the DAC.

EDIT: That Sumlink part is indeed a pulse transformer on the input of the CS8416 chip in my DIY DAC. It is unclear at this point about the status of the Ah Tjoeb 4000...there are 2 small transformers on the Anagram tech upsampler module with no part number visible on either one. In that case the simple swap to BNC + cable and I'm good to go ? Of course I need to add a transformer to the transport to be used with the forthcoming DAC. (that DAC may also have a pulse transformer on it's input ). Lots of questions as always
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for tips Gents,

Always something to learn in this hobby
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back