Convenient Gaming Setup
Oct 31, 2019 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jordannn15

500+ Head-Fier
Hello, I tried posting something like this before but didn’t get many responses so I am going to try to make this one shorter and more to the point.

I am looking for a good open back headphone that can be powered through the ps4 controllers headphone jack and I can use the v moda boom pro with it. I want it for fps gaming so something with good sounstage, great imaging, and light bass.

I do not want to use the mod mic because I don’t want two cables going to my controller. I do not want to have to use an amp/dac, just want to plug it into my controller using the v moda boom pro.

I have been considering the shp9500’s but reviews say soundstage isn’t very big and imaging is meh. I also was considering Akg K7xx and a 3 pin to 3.5mm adapter to use v moda boom pro but didn’t know if it would be too hard to drive.

I would greatly appreciate some recommendations!

Oct 31, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #4 of 12
I have tried the hyper x cloud 2’s or whatever and had headsets in the past but they are usually just too bassy and aren’t great. I am hoping there is something better.

Not really if convenience is a priority.

It's really a lot like "huge speakers with separate source and amplifier" vs Bose Lifestyle system with tiny speakers and one chassis source and amp. Or DAC+HPamp and large headphones with lots of cables and zero noise isolation vs Bose wireless ANC headphone.

Oct 31, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #5 of 12
Not really if convenience is a priority.

It's really a lot like "huge speakers with separate source and amplifier" vs Bose Lifestyle system with tiny speakers and one chassis source and amp. Or DAC+HPamp and large headphones with lots of cables and zero noise isolation vs Bose wireless ANC headphone.

Okay, so anything you would recommend if I were willing to use a mod mic and have to cables going to the controller? Any headphones that would still be powered sufficiently through the controller that have good soundstage and imaging and light bass?

Oct 31, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 12
Hello, I tried posting something like this before but didn’t get many responses so I am going to try to make this one shorter and more to the point.
I am looking for a good open back headphone that can be powered through the ps4 controllers headphone jack and I can use the v moda boom pro with it. I want it for fps gaming so something with good soundstage, great imaging, and light bass.
I do not want to use the mod mic because I don’t want two cables going to my controller. I do not want to have to use an amp/dac, just want to plug it into my controller using the v moda boom pro.
I have been considering the shp9500’s but reviews say soundstage isn’t very big and imaging is meh. I also was considering Akg K7xx and a 3 pin to 3.5mm adapter to use v moda boom pro but didn’t know if it would be too hard to drive. I would greatly appreciate some recommendations!
The 62-Ohm AKG (Massdrop) K7XX is somewhat power demanding and I'm assuming your using a battery powered PS4 controller, so not the best match.
Audio Technica ATH-AD700X headphones might be a better choice.

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #7 of 12
The 62-Ohm AKG (Massdrop) K7XX is somewhat power demanding and I'm assuming your using a battery powered PS4 controller, so not the best match.
Audio Technica ATH-AD700X headphones might be a better choice.

Yes just using battery powered controller. I was looking at the AD700X’s as well if I were to use a mod mic. I have a smaller head, is there a way to make the clamping force on those better?

I have tried and liked the AKG K712’s and K7XX’s before but got rid of them because they kept sliding down my head. I saw a fix for them and was going to try that if they would work with the controller well.

Another option I was thinking of was Hifiman HE400i’s with mod mic. They have a low impedence but their sensitivity isn’t the highest and I know planars generally like more power. You think they would work well or?

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #8 of 12
Yes just using battery powered controller. I was looking at the AD700X’s as well if I were to use a mod mic. I have a smaller head, is there a way to make the clamping force on those better?

I have tried and liked the AKG K712’s and K7XX’s before but got rid of them because they kept sliding down my head. I saw a fix for them and was going to try that if they would work with the controller well.

Another option I was thinking of was Hifiman HE400i’s with mod mic. They have a low impedence but their sensitivity isn’t the highest and I know planars generally like more power. You think they would work well or?

@jordannn15,

I suggest trying the CoolerMaster MH 751, the microphone it comes with is quite decent but you can always swap it out with the mod mic if you need.

Hope you have a great day !

Nov 2, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #9 of 12
@jordannn15,

I suggest trying the CoolerMaster MH 751, the microphone it comes with is quite decent but you can always swap it out with the mod mic if you need.

Looks like there are more closed back options for this situation. Those are a good recommendation. Do you think those or Audio Technica WS100is with v moda boom pro?

Nov 2, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #10 of 12
Looks like there are more closed back options for this situation. Those are a good recommendation. Do you think those or Audio Technica WS100is with v moda boom pro?

@jordannn15,

Closed backs generally work better for gaming though this is subjective & personal & honestly depends on a chosen game's sound setup as one could have the best head gear in the world but if the game sound &/or options is crap then it's not going to make much difference.

Haven't tried the WS100is so can't say for sure but then most of the AT WS series sound similar as do most AT headohones to a certain extent.
Nor have I heard the V Moda Boom Pro so can't comment on that either.

Sorry can't help with more detachable mic options.

Nov 2, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #11 of 12
@jordannn15,

Closed backs generally work better for gaming though this is subjective & personal & honestly depends on a chosen game's sound setup as one could have the best head gear in the world but if the game sound &/or options is crap then it's not going to make much difference.

Haven't tried the WS100is so can't say for sure but then most of the AT WS series sound similar as do most AT headohones to a certain extent.
Nor have I heard the V Moda Boom Pro so can't comment on that either.

Sorry can't help with more detachable mic options.

Understood. I figured open backs were better for gaming since they usually have better soundstage and overall sound quality. I don’t care about mic quality as long as the people I’m talking to can understand me. I just care about soundstage and imaging. Thanks though!

Nov 3, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #12 of 12
Okay, so anything you would recommend if I were willing to use a mod mic and have to cables going to the controller? Any headphones that would still be powered sufficiently through the controller that have good soundstage and imaging and light bass?

None with the kind of imaging (ie soundstage depth and width) you probably require.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back