Contemplating a complimentary can.
May 25, 2005 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Enverxis

Headphoneus Supremus
At the moment I have the doobooloo-modded Alessandro MS-Pro and I love this can alot, especially alongside my MAD Tube Amp.
Throw in some Diana Krall, Sarah Brightman ... my Alice in Chains MTV Unplugged CD and I am in Heaven.
Throw in some say elder Iron Maiden recordings, some Gothic Metal or some raw sounding music such as Tapping the Vein or Tura Satana ... I am not, instead I am left thinking "god this grainy, tinny treble is annoying, these flat sounding drums are disheartening, these thin emotionless vocals ...
frown.gif
and the Veil over the sound.

The MS-Pro are not the best can to listen to lesser recordings on I must say. So this is why I am contemplating a complimentary can for say lesser recordings, and perhaps a change from the Grado Sound.

Im thinking AKG-240S-55ohm might fit the bill, but that would leave me wanted an AKG 340 wouldnt it
frown.gif

Some recommendations or advice would be nice.

May 25, 2005 at 9:57 AM Post #2 of 21
I guess the HD595 would make the 'raw sounding music' sound better than you now hear it, despite being most suited for the other pole, the "acoustic" kind.
smily_headphones1.gif

But also the K240S should be well suited, though I guess it's not the most refined (I have the K141S).

May 25, 2005 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 21
I knew you would say that as soon as I saw your name as first replier.

Im not really impressed by the Senn 5x5 series to be honest, but thankyou for your opinion
smily_headphones1.gif

AKG240S seem like a go-er for $99
eek.gif
from Todds

May 25, 2005 at 11:52 AM Post #5 of 21
I know, sadly at the time when I had such cash, there were no RS-1s around in the FS forums so I settled for second (perhaps third best) the MS-Pro (because there was also a VERY cheap SR-325 Headphile Woody/Recabled headphone there) and to play it safe, the fact that the MS-Pro was "technically better" I chose that ... and as such time has passed I have realised that may not have nessacerily been the wisest choice after-all.

I made a few posts in RS-1 lover thread about this mod that Doo has done to the cans, and while they supposedly sound better than before, I doubt any RS-1 owner would trade due to the sound-changes (Less Treble, Tighter bass and supposedly less coloration) and they werent too "friendly" about the mod.

Maybe I should just sell these and go back to my original fantasy, a Headphile SR-225 Woody/Recable/C-pad
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2005 at 11:59 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
I know, sadly at the time when I had such cash, there were no RS-1s around in the FS forums so I settled for second (perhaps third best) the MS-Pro (because there was also a VERY cheap SR-325 Headphile Woody/Recabled headphone there) and to play it safe, the fact that the MS-Pro was "technically better" I chose that ... and as such time has passed I have realised that may not have nessacerily been the wisest choice after-all.

I made a few posts in RS-1 lover thread about this mod that Doo has done to the cans, and while they supposedly sound better than before, I doubt any RS-1 owner would trade due to the sound-changes (Less Treble, Tighter bass and supposedly less coloration) and they werent too "friendly" about the mod.

Maybe I should just sell these and go back to my original fantasy, a Headphile SR-225 Woody/Recable/C-pad
biggrin.gif

Oh yea, from sr225 onwards , only rs1 can convince me for an upgrade ,
But then from sr225 to rs1 , not much wow factor than from ksc75 to sr225
sr325i sounds too similar. And i assume that rs1 is more fun than ms pro. Go get rs-1 , it will solve your problem

May 25, 2005 at 12:03 PM Post #7 of 21
hehe, the ms-2 to ms-pro is like 5% more detail, slightly more present bass, highs placed to the back of the presentation and recessed, but more sweet and of course midrange goes from dry and "bright" to lush and sweet
eggosmile.gif

and from what people say about the SR-225 Woody (Trevornetwork said they left the MS-Pro for dead) that sounds promising!

May 25, 2005 at 2:06 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
hehe, the ms-2 to ms-pro is like 5% more detail, slightly more present bass, highs placed to the back of the presentation and recessed, but more sweet and of course midrange goes from dry and "bright" to lush and sweet
eggosmile.gif

and from what people say about the SR-225 Woody (Trevornetwork said they left the MS-Pro for dead) that sounds promising!

I've gotta say I'm pleased with my SR-225 Woody. I haven't liked any of the other Grados I've listened to (60,80,125) but these are awesome and the craftmanship is superb. Larry really does a great job.

Ant

May 25, 2005 at 2:10 PM Post #9 of 21
I don't like grado cans for metal, hard rock or other raw, distorted music. It isn't a matter of lesser recordings for me, I think grados are too bright. Instead, I find akg 240 very interesting for this kind of music. Many people who don't like grados for hard music enjoy 240s very much, so give them a try. Of course there are a lot of people enjoying grados for rock, so at the end is a matter of preference.
AKG 340 doesn't have the same "rocker" sound profile, but another option can be beyer 770/80.

May 25, 2005 at 2:17 PM Post #11 of 21
The K240 Studio is a no brainer... very little investment and chances are you will love them.
wink.gif

May 25, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #12 of 21
I haven't heard the 240, but I own the 271 and actually love them for rock. They are slightly warm and have a good balance of deep bass and good treble. I bought them as a closed phone and complement to my k501's, hoping they'd be well-suited for rock unlike the k501.

I'm not familiar with those tracks you mentioned, but I really enjoy them on Black Sabbath - Paranoid and all the Tool albums.

If you're in the states, Guitar Center carries the K240 in-store for $99, and they have a very lax return policy in case you don't enjoy them.

May 25, 2005 at 3:48 PM Post #13 of 21
Yeah, the K271S are great for rock... I actually prefer them over my K340's for this depending on my mood.
wink.gif

May 26, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #15 of 21
Go with the k240s. They're awesome for rock. They warm up and round out thin/crappy rock recordings beautifully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back