Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2008 Coverage (Other Head-Fi'ers, please feel free to post your impressions in here, too.)
Jan 11, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #61 of 76
Jude, were you able to confirm if the drivers were the same between the IE 6/7/8? According to the Sennheiser website, each model has a slightly different frequency response on the top-end (not that it matters, but it made me wonder if the difference was due to a different driver, or simply slightly different construction).

Also, any idea why the 8 would have 5 dB better attenuation than the 7? Wouldn't that be simply a function of the in-ear fit?

Thanks for your excellent (as always) posts.

I'm looking forward to your promised impressions of meeting those audio-industry luminaries.

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #62 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by OracleGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jude, were you able to confirm if the drivers were the same between the IE 6/7/8? According to the Sennheiser website, each model has a slightly different frequency response on the top-end (not that it matters, but it made me wonder if the difference was due to a different driver, or simply slightly different construction).

The Sennheiser Rep I talked to said the 7 and 8 had the same drivers. The IE8 has a screw that you can tune the bass.

-Ed

Jan 11, 2008 at 10:05 AM Post #64 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gokiburi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I had more time listening to IE 6 and 7, they sounded really good, but I was on a mission to take photos, which can be viewed here:
2008 CES Show - a photoset on Flickr

-vL

Cheers for the photos. Some very nice eye candy in them
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #65 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sennheiser Rep I talked to said the 7 and 8 had the same drivers. The IE8 has a screw that you can tune the bass.

-Ed

Thanks Ed. Then it seems like they're charging quite a bit ($150) for the ability to tune the bass. I'm trying to resist making a comment like "they're charging a lot for a little screw." Oh damn.
wink.gif

Re-reading your previous post, even after a second listen, you still found the 7 had too much bass, right? If the 7 "sounds like" the HD650 that would be OK with me, although I'm used to the balanced 650 now which pretty much shatters the veil.

Jan 11, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #66 of 76
Quote:

Re-reading your previous post, even after a second listen, you still found the 7 had too much bass, right? If the 7 "sounds like" the HD650 that would be OK with me, although I'm used to the balanced 650 now which pretty much shatters the veil.

Everything in the show is boomy. I think that's why Senn set the listening to HipPop. My impression is this is the trend of the consumer market. But I didn't have time to go to Venetian as I have to work the booth.

Jan 11, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #67 of 76
Quote:

Thanks Ed. Then it seems like they're charging quite a bit ($150) for the ability to tune the bass. I'm trying to resist making a comment like "they're charging a lot for a little screw." Oh damn.
wink.gif

The enclosure and taper tube may have a different shape, and that alone can have the biggest impact on sonic signature.

Jan 14, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #68 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everything in the show is boomy. I think that's why Senn set the listening to HipPop. My impression is this is the trend of the consumer market. But I didn't have time to go to Venetian as I have to work the booth.

Hello-

First and foremost, thank you for your comments, and to those who attended the show, thanks for making CES 2008 the most successful CES in Sennheiser's storied history. The response from dealers and end-users was ECSTATIC regarding the new in ear series, as well as our MX W1 headphones. I say this as I am in the middle of sorting hundreds upon HUNDREDS of happy emails from excited headphone enthusiasts all over the country.

About the "hip-hop" setting on the demonstration iPods...Sennheiser set each iPod to neutral, however it is quite common for tradeshow goers to "fiddle" with the demonstration setup. One IE7 was stolen and a few iPods were tampered with (EQ settings, clocks, slideshow settings, playlists, etc). Although you can lock the iPod nano with a switch, it is simple to unlock the switch using a paper clip or badge holder (plenty of these at CES).

While we can't babysit each headphone all day, every day, we do our best. This show proved exceedingly difficult as our booth traffic was unbelievable and people were anxious to get answers about the IE series and new MX W1. To those who would like an impression of the IE6 or IE7, please read Jude's in-depth review. We will be providing some unique head-fier opportunities over the next few months, so please stay tuned.

Currently, Amazon.com is accepting pre-orders for the IE6 and IE7. Get yours in quick so that the first shipment that arrives in March can be shipped before everyone else
smily_headphones1.gif
...the early bird gets the worm.

Jan 15, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #69 of 76
Wow, a post from somebody officially with Sennheiser! Thanks for filling us in. Can you confirm for me that the drivers in the IE6/7/8 are the same? I'm also curious about why the isolation rating would be higher for the IE8 than the IE7.

Jan 15, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #71 of 76
Just one question:
Did the "plane" Sennheiser used looked like this one?

senn_plane.jpg

Oh and thanks for the impressions. There are certain events that make me regrett beeing situated in Germany. :p

m00h

Jan 15, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #72 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDeliveryMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello-

First and foremost, thank you for your comments, and to those who attended the show, thanks for making CES 2008 the most successful CES in Sennheiser's storied history. The response from dealers and end-users was ECSTATIC regarding the new in ear series, as well as our MX W1 headphones. I say this as I am in the middle of sorting hundreds upon HUNDREDS of happy emails from excited headphone enthusiasts all over the country.

I was pleasantly surprised by the MX W1's. I was skeptical at first when it was first announced. It will definitely have a place in the enthusiast market, but the overall mass market might overlook it since it's not A2DP bluetooth compatible. (people who want to use it with their cell phones without extras, like a dongle)

Quote:

About the "hip-hop" setting on the demonstration iPods...Sennheiser set each iPod to neutral, however it is quite common for tradeshow goers to "fiddle" with the demonstration setup. One IE7 was stolen and a few iPods were tampered with (EQ settings, clocks, slideshow settings, playlists, etc). Although you can lock the iPod nano with a switch, it is simple to unlock the switch using a paper clip or badge holder (plenty of these at CES).

While we can't babysit each headphone all day, every day, we do our best. This show proved exceedingly difficult as our booth traffic was unbelievable and people were anxious to get answers about the IE series and new MX W1. To those who would like an impression of the IE6 or IE7, please read Jude's in-depth review. We will be providing some unique head-fier opportunities over the next few months, so please stay tuned.

Currently, Amazon.com is accepting pre-orders for the IE6 and IE7. Get yours in quick so that the first shipment that arrives in March can be shipped before everyone else
smily_headphones1.gif
...the early bird gets the worm.

Any news on the IE8? When will they be shipping? What is the difference (other than the price and bass tuning) between the IE8 and IE7?

-Ed

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #75 of 76
phew, this makes me feel better about buying a pair of HD650's yesterday...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back