Considering Shure for First nonstock IEM
Sep 9, 2009 at 8:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

pikeshouse88

New Head-Fier
Hello all, I would have rather avoided the stereotypical first post if I could, but I haven't been able to find the following comparison in the detail i need for my purchase.

My tastes are extremely varied, from the sounds of Sufjan Stevens to Daft Punk, Wilco to Jay-Z, The Most Serene Republic to Allman Brothers Band.

I must admit I've never known anything but stock iPod earphones. I hope you won't hold that against me.

My concern is this:
I've recently encountered an opportunity that I cannot ignore, which is that I can obtain any Shure earphones for half off.

Now, I've determined that AFTER applying this savings, my budget would fit approximately the SE310, (SE420's would be pushing it but if I obtain a large consensus that they are worth it, so be it).

Another pair that reached my attention was the V-MODA Vibe II's.

I'm most concerned about which of these two would have the best overall enjoyment factor, along with build quality. I define enjoyment factor as the overall loudness and umph with the least distortion.

I would be ready to buy the SE310's already if I had not read reviews that concerned me with their level of bass. However, I want to move away from the love of just bass if that's what has been holding me back from true audio enjoyment. In short, are the Se310's held back from low bass, especially when compared to the 420s and 530s?

The Vibe II's would be at $120, and the Se310 would be at $125.
If there are other comparable phones to be looking at in this price range, please let me know.

I appreciate all your thoughts.

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by pikeshouse88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello all, I would have rather avoided the stereotypical first post if I could, but I haven't been able to find the following comparison in the detail i need for my purchase.

My tastes are extremely varied, from the sounds of Sufjan Stevens to Daft Punk, Wilco to Jay-Z, The Most Serene Republic to Allman Brothers Band.

I must admit I've never known anything but stock iPod earphones. I hope you won't hold that against me.

My concern is this:
I've recently encountered an opportunity that I cannot ignore, which is that I can obtain any Shure earphones for half off.

Now, I've determined that AFTER applying this savings, my budget would fit approximately the SE310, (SE420's would be pushing it but if I obtain a large consensus that they are worth it, so be it).

Another pair that reached my attention was the V-MODA Vibe II's.

I'm most concerned about which of these two would have the best overall enjoyment factor, along with build quality. I define enjoyment factor as the overall loudness and umph with the least distortion.

I would be ready to buy the SE310's already if I had not read reviews that concerned me with their level of bass. However, I want to move away from the love of just bass if that's what has been holding me back from true audio enjoyment. In short, are the Se310's held back from low bass, especially when compared to the 420s and 530s?

The Vibe II's would be at $120, and the Se310 would be at $125.
If there are other comparable phones to be looking at in this price range, please let me know.

I appreciate all your thoughts.

If your budget is $120 or so, there are many more choices than the Vibes, which I would avoid like the plague. If you can get the 530s at 50 percent off, I'd borrow the money to get them, and not settle for the 310s or 420s. To me, half price for the SE530s sound like the only route.

Other $100 phones include the Denon C710s, Klipsch S4s, etc.

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #5 of 5
I've never heard the SE310, but I would buy them instantly if I saw them for $125. Where are you getting that price? Is it an authorized dealer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back