Considering Pulling the Trigger on Some V-Moda M-100s. Any Reason Why I Shouldn't?
Apr 25, 2013 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

MaxMusic

Head-Fier
My parents want to get me a nice gift for college graduation (Woot!) and I've had my eye on these for a while :). They seem to be the perfect combination of sound, durability, portability and style (for my needs).

I am currently coming from ATH-M50s as my over ear cans. While I'm aware the M-100s are definitly not be the largest upgrade around for the price tag in terms of pure audio quality, I am drawn to them because of their reported bass rich and slightly but not over-the-top colored sound.

While the ATH-M50s are definitly great, I sometimes grow tired of their (at least to my ears) neutrality. I feel like the bass is lacking a little for my mood sometimes. I want something reletivly accurate and high quality, but still "fun".

Additional info:
I don't amp my headphones
I am slightly abusive with my equipment
I am very into EDM- House, Dubstep, Chillstep, DnB, etc but also love my acoustic solo artists and rock bands 
I have used other v moda products (crossfade LP2s) before and found them to be very comfortable, so I doubt I will have issues with the tightness of the headband or the earcups (my ears are on the medium-small side as is the width of my head).

Questions:
While I think the ATH-M50s do not have large bass quantity (id say medium), others definitely disagree with me. Will the M-100s certainly have significantly larger bass quantity and impact?

Is the sound better and different enough to warrant their purchase?

Am I overlooking anything important? Are there any other similar products that could fit my niche? Are these headphones really as amazing as they appear or has everyone got caught up in the hype?

Based on that admittedly excessive analysis, what do you think Head-Fi? It might seem like I have already made up my mind but BELIEVE me, I have DEFINITLY not. I am one of the most indecicive buyers you will ever meet- When something is expensive and will be used for a long duration I always make sure it's perfect (even if its not my own money buying it this time :))

If you read all of this thank you so much! I would love to hear all of your opinions, suggestions, and feedback!

-Max

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 13
Congratulations on Graduation, I think the V-Moda's would suit you well, they are rugged and great sounding, so you shouldn't be able to break them by accident, might see if your parents would consider an amp / headphone combo, to get you started in the right direction. If all you are using is your PC or an android or iPhone you will see a huge difference in sound quality. It really is the next step, any good headphone will benefit from amping. It will change you for ever, in a good way, imho. Cheers !

Apr 25, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 13
Thanks! Ive thought about amplifiers and have heard a lot about how much they improve sound, but I dont really know the first thing about them (or DACs that are not my iphone). I will say that I am not a fan of the idea of a portable amplifier because that defeats the purpose of the headphone when you're on the go to me- I dont want to carry an additional thing, worry about it being connected properly, etc.

However, I would be interested in a decent amplifier for my computer desk, which my headphones and I spend a signifigant amount of time at.
But there are still things I have no clue about, such as:

How much would a "decent" little amp even cost that would be adequate for the M-100?

What does the extra power accomplish if the headphones are already very lound from an iphone? I dont understand how it improves sound quality beyond that, does it make them more "responsive"?

Would my computers soundcard (that would be the DAC in this case, right?) limit the benefit of an amplifier?

Can the M-100 get by fine without one, or would I truly be missing out?

Apr 25, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #4 of 13
Originally Posted by MaxMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much would a "decent" little amp even cost that would be adequate for the M-100?

Between $50-$100

What does the extra power accomplish if the headphones are already very lound from an iphone? I dont understand how it improves sound quality beyond that, does it make them more "responsive"?

At high volumes, sound from inferior devices can start to clip and distort at levels we can't perceive so easily. On super cheap devices, it's more apparent.

Would my computers soundcard (that would be the DAC in this case, right?) limit the benefit of an amplifier?

If it's simply an on-board soundcard (in-built into the motherboard) then YES, it will benefit. Quite a lot. 
It's it's a fairly decent soundcard ($50-100) you won't notice a huge difference.

Can the M-100 get by fine without one, or would I truly be missing out?

Mostly YES, it can do brilliantly without one. Feed it the highest quality MP3 files or lossless wav/flac, and you should be satisfied. 

What a DAC+amp WILL do (if you have one) most noticeably is create a 'black background' meaning when there is no music, there is ONLY SILENCE. 
Computer soundcards are NOISY - turn the volume up to FULL VOLUME when you're not playing sound/music, and you'll hear all the lovely static. 
After that it's more to do with the 'finer details'  that we love to discuss here.

Apr 25, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #5 of 13
Tyll at Innerfidelity seemed to love them. I respect his opinion a lot, but I have not heard them myself. 

Apr 25, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #6 of 13
Heard great things about the M-100's but have not tried them (I hope to have some one day). I would recommend you look into the M-Audio Q40's though, seeing as we have very similar music interests. HUGE bass and clear mids. Some have an issue with comfort though because the Q40's clamp your head like no other headphone I've ever used. Either way, after putting DT770 velour pads on them, I'm in love.

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #7 of 13
the m-100 sound right up your street. i listen mostly to EDM and i know i love mine.

another thing that using an external amp can change for you is due its (usually) low output impedance. my ipod classic for example, has an output impedance of ~5 ohms. which is relatively high. most amps have significantly low output impedances. the new fiio e12 has an impedance too low to measure (according to a head-fi member. i never verified it). depending on your headphones, this difference can be audible in the bass response section (mostly).
the iphones output impedance is actually pretty low. not as low as an external amplifier, but still low. so i dont imagine you could tell too much of a difference. but still, you asked, so i answered =]

this is where im getting the measurements from btw. i was given this link by a head-fi contributer:
http://monoadc.blog64.fc2.com/blog-entry-99.html

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #8 of 13
You might want to check out the Denon D600.  Unamped - straight out of my iPhone 5 they are amazing.  And Amazon has some used/open box/refurb deals that are below $300.  Seems a better solution than the M-100. 

I think they are as good or better than my D2000 and Q40.  Never thought I'd say that. 

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
You might want to check out the Denon D600.  Unamped - straight out of my iPhone 5 they are amazing.  And Amazon has some used/open box/refurb deals that are below $300.  Seems a better solution than the M-100. 

I think they are as good or better than my D2000 and Q40.  Never thought I'd say that. 

wow! you really like them that much?? most reviews ive read were pretty bad. have you ever compared them to the m-100? 

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
wow! you really like them that much?? most reviews ive read were pretty bad. have you ever compared them to the m-100? 

No, never have tried the M-100.  Want to, just can't buy 15 pairs of all the headphones I want to.....................lol.

I just know unamped (which you said was important) the D600 last night was amazing to me. 

Reviews...............well, we all know it's like movies.  Some like what you like, some hate what you like.  I love the D600.

Wish there was a better way to try out phones for a week at a time.  Probably can't go wrong with M-100.

Apr 25, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
No, never have tried the M-100.  Want to, just can't buy 15 pairs of all the headphones I want to.....................lol.

I just know unamped (which you said was important) the D600 last night was amazing to me. 

Reviews...............well, we all know it's like movies.  Some like what you like, some hate what you like.  I love the D600.

Wish there was a better way to try out phones for a week at a time.  Probably can't go wrong with M-100.

the op said it was important, im not the op...

anyway, im so used to be people trashing the d600 its refreshing to see someone who doesnt say what everybody else is saying.

o.t - did you ever find an amp with sufficient sub bass boost btw?

Apr 25, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
the op said it was important, im not the op...

anyway, im so used to be people trashing the d600 its refreshing to see someone who doesnt say what everybody else is saying.

o.t - did you ever find an amp with sufficient sub bass boost btw?

Well, I hooked the D600 up to my Magni/ZO dual amp setup this morning..................um, that is some way to wake up at 4:15am.  It rocked...............rumbled...................and I am as happy as I can be.  I have a C421 and another ZO on the way for a portable setup.  Must.  Stop.  Buying.  Stuff.

Maybe those who bash the D600 haven't listened to them?  Maybe it's the looks?  They look better in person and the quality is superb, as is the comfort. 

Either way, I'm glad I gave them a chance and found them at the $239 price.  Worth every penny.  And then some. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back