Considering GSX Mini and Benchmark HPA4..
Apr 7, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #16 of 25
Best amps based on what? Based on massive coloration and because it can tame a little bit of piercing highs from TH900? Both are very average and overpriced amps.
Only good thing they do is that they provide colored sound.

Best is based on synergy with my system, how neutral an amp is etc. Massive coloration ? Have you even heard the v281 and 430HA. Because the general consensus is they considered neutral or as close to neutral you can get. I certainly haven't heard anyone refer to these as massively colored. Value is subjective. You think they are average overpriced amps, I think they are extremely well built superb solid state amps.

Tame the piercing highs of the TH900 ? Its my least used headphone and my system isn't built around it.

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #17 of 25
Are you considering any others ? I have been reading about the new Burson Conductor 3 too . A lot of good reports on this too .......where do we stop though :wink:

Really just those two at the moment. I'm recently getting back to the hobby. I used to go down the rabbit hole* all day long lol. Now days I'm trying to keep options limited and aim for just enjoying the music on the first buy vs. buying and selling over and over.. in this case, I know I'll be happy with either based on what I've read. That amp does look interesting though!

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #18 of 25
Gsx mk2 and I are married. Nuff said

Apr 7, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #19 of 25
Best is based on synergy with my system, how neutral an amp is etc. Massive coloration ? Have you even heard the v281 and 430HA. Because the general consensus is they considered neutral or as close to neutral you can get. I certainly haven't heard anyone refer to these as massively colored. Value is subjective. You think they are average overpriced amps, I think they are extremely well built superb solid state amps.

Tame the piercing highs of the TH900 ? Its my least used headphone and my system isn't built around it.
for the V281 I was originally tempted to buy one but their measurement in innerfedility showed a massive bass roll off which I have no idea why, but rolling off bass and neutral otherwise seems a big no for me

Apr 7, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #20 of 25
Sure. There are also measurements that contradict it. -1db at 30hz and -2 at 20hz per innerfidelity. Even then, you're not going to hear anything below 20hz and even at 20hz you may not hear it on your headphones anyway. In any case, I dont make purchase decisions based strictly on a chart. I've listened to the v281 at length along with my GS-X mk2, moon 430HA and the v281 holds its own and sounds great.

Apr 8, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #22 of 25
Really just those two at the moment. I'm recently getting back to the hobby. I used to go down the rabbit hole* all day long lol. Now days I'm trying to keep options limited and aim for just enjoying the music on the first buy vs. buying and selling over and over.. in this case, I know I'll be happy with either based on what I've read. That amp does look interesting though!
Yes I think I am going down that rabbit hole now too :wink:
I think it’s lockdown and too much time on my hands. I had it narrowed down to the V281 or the Burson Conductor 3, but then I seen your thread and now the GSX mk2 is in the mix.
i do also feel my current Taurus is pretty damn good and it may be a sideward step. The trouble for me is I can’t really audition as not many stores around me

Edit .....also the ifi audio I pro dsd headphone amp :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #23 of 25

Taming TH-900s around 8k peak would mean a rolloff at the same region. It's a complete joke. Don't know why he hates that amp so much, he's in every thread sh. on it.
I bet he also never owned either the TH-900 (I did until recently, for years too) or most other gear he tries to recommend or pitch vs. each other. Also often quotes a lot of anecdotes from various boards to make a point. Avoid.

TH-900 is easily "modded" with a Schiit Loki Equalizer btw. No need for magical extreme colorations that never existed.

Oh, and V590 will get a release in June IF you want a DAC inside too. Amp part is the V281 successor.

Apr 8, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #24 of 25
I don't get why people can't just let people enjoy the equipment they enjoy lol. Listening preferences, preferred headphones & synergy and optimizing a system around them are HUGE factors in how someone perceives the value/worth/performance of equipment.. big reason I don't understand why people impose some of the hard stance, definitive statements they do.

It's another reason I left this hobby for a long time.. I know it happens in all hobbies, which is a shame. But just my $.02.

Anyways, settled on the Mini for now. Just need to confirm the headphones are still available before pulling the trigger, thanks all! :)

Yes I think I am going down that rabbit hole now too :wink:
I think it’s lockdown and too much time on my hands. I had it narrowed down to the V281 or the Burson Conductor 3, but then I seen your thread and now the GSX mk2 is in the mix.
i do also feel my current Taurus is pretty damn good and it may be a sideward step. The trouble for me is I can’t really audition as not many stores around me

Edit .....also the ifi audio I pro dsd headphone amp :wink:

It sounds like you've had your amp for quite some time, sounds like you're due for an upgrade. I would just try to keep your amp in addition to the new purchase so that you can have ample time to make a decision on which to keep.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #25 of 25
Great choice. Congrats.

I agree and left the hobby for nearly 5 years. Getting back into it for the last 6 months or so. Sound is such a subjective thing, we all hear differently, enjoy different music genres and value different attributes. Oh well.

I hope you enjoy the amp and please dont forget to post impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back