Considering GR07 yet unsure of over-ear design...is it comfortable?
Jul 29, 2013 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

CaptSharpe

New Head-Fier
Giving serious thought to these headphones among others

I think the GR07s (either the mkii or BE) fit what I want ( a good all-rounder but some decent enough bass with good clarity)

I listen to a lot of soundtracks - by John barry (e.g., bond soundtracks, ipcress file etc), zimmer (e.g., dark knight rises, inception, lone ranger, sherlock), james horner (star trek soundtracks), john williams (indiana jones, star wars), as well as johnny cash, les mis, latin stuff from the 1960s, elvis, morricone, bear mccreary, muse, not a huge basshead but I like some bass for tracks that require it.

The main thing that puts me off the GR07 is that they go around the ear...does anyone find that a little uncomfortable? Otherwise i'd look at the GR01s, though im not sure it really suits my needs as well..but at least they don't go over the ear. Or maybe something from the shure range? hifiman? The GR07 does seem to be the most widely praised though...

Jul 30, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 14
My choice is between the GR07BE or the TDK BA200. The later is a dual balanced ampetures.

Jul 30, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
Giving serious thought to these headphones among others

I think the GR07s (either the mkii or BE) fit what I want ( a good all-rounder but some decent enough bass with good clarity)

I listen to a lot of soundtracks - by John barry (e.g., bond soundtracks, ipcress file etc), zimmer (e.g., dark knight rises, inception, lone ranger, sherlock), james horner (star trek soundtracks), john williams (indiana jones, star wars), as well as johnny cash, les mis, latin stuff from the 1960s, elvis, morricone, bear mccreary, muse, not a huge basshead but I like some bass for tracks that require it.

The main thing that puts me off the GR07 is that they go around the ear...does anyone find that a little uncomfortable? Otherwise i'd look at the GR01s, though im not sure it really suits my needs as well..but at least they don't go over the ear. Or maybe something from the shure range? hifiman? The GR07 does seem to be the most widely praised though...

I have no issues with over the ear. How will you be using these? over the ear is probably better if you will be moving around, most IEM are over the ear, think Westone or Shure. As a drummer, over the ear is great.

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
My choice is between the GR07BE or the TDK BA200. The later is a dual balanced ampetures.

Would the GR07BE do john barry, for example, just as well as the GR07 mkii?

I'm quite a newb when it comes to this sort of thing - is the BA200 similar in sound to the gr07be?

Quote:
How will you be using these?

What do you mean? I'll mostly be using them on walks, on the train/bus, walking to and from work etc. I assume the GR07s have to be worn over ear.

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #6 of 14
Over-the-ear IEMs are generally more comfortable compared to straight down, contrary to popular belief (not on Head-Fi). Everyone here knows that, and that's also why most TOTL models, like Westone and Shure IEMs are all worn over-the-ear.

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #7 of 14
I had reservations about wearing IEMs over the ear style once. Now after having tried it with IEMs not necessarily designed with that wear style in mind, I'm addicted to it. From the improved fit, isolation, stability and reduced microphonics, I'm at the point where I'm hard pressed to find any negatives to wearing them this way. Some memory wire isn't comfortable, but if it is regular wire there is never discomfort, at least for me.

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #8 of 14
Actually, my knowledge is from reading the forums here. What I understand is the GR07 bass edition is not a pure base IEM, even if it is stated BA but it actually enhances the bass compared to the mk2. At least that's what I gathered. Maybe best to ask the IEM's thread appreciation thread but I feel BA200 being detailed will be good for John Barry type music.

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
Over-the-ear IEMs are generally more comfortable compared to straight down, contrary to popular belief (not on Head-Fi). Everyone here knows that, and that's also why most TOTL models, like Westone and Shure IEMs are all worn over-the-ear.

Nice. Even with glasses?

Leaning heavily towards the GR07 bass...now to figure out the best place to get them delivered to Australia is... mp4nation perhaps?

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #10 of 14
Jul 30, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
Nice. Even with glasses?

Leaning heavily towards the GR07 bass...now to figure out the best place to get them delivered to Australia is... mp4nation perhaps?

Glasses really have no effect on comfort, unless you have an unwieldy cable and are putting the cable under your glasses, but really if you use the chin cinch that really is never an issue. So yeah... As I said, sometimes memory wire cables are uncomfortable because of the stiff wire, but I don't believe that the GR07s have that. I've never really heard the GR07s being uncomfortable either, so you should be fine. 

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
Nice. Even with glasses?

I don't think so. I have a friend who wears glasses who uses his UE TF10 all the time, and the gr07 cable looks a lot more comfortable to me compared to the TF10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back