1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Considering getting a tube amp .... Want to help ?

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by downsize, Jul 31, 2010.
  1. downsize
    Every person has a different opinion .... everyone hears it differently ..... But I still can use some help.

I have been a solid state guy all of my life, and am now considering going with a tube amp, but AM NOT willing to give up my treble and bass extension, or my resolution.

Soooo, I need a tube amp under $2000 that will not have too much of the tubey sound that makes speed metal and rock sound compressed ....

So far, I am thinking of WA6 SE or WA2 fully loaded .... What am I missing, and thanks !

2. KingStyles Contributor
    With that description, I would put the Eddie Current Zana Deux se on your list.

3. Uncle Erik Contributor
    Last I checked, there was a Zana Deux in the For Sale Forum going around $1,700. I'd put that high on your list. It doesn't sound "tubey" and is lightning fast - much like a solid state amp, but just smooth enough to remind you that you're analog. Everything else I've heard (save for some high-end customs you'd have to DIY if you wanted) lets a lot more tube character through. It's one of the best amps out there and will power anything but the K-1000. Not a failing - the K-1000 was engineered to run off a speaker power amp producing 8W of power or more.