Considering DT880 600 ohm on Massdrop, need quick answers!
Oct 4, 2017 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

DJDP

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I just need a few quick answers for people that have (or used) any of the headphones below:

1. Is this an upgrade from the K553 Pro?
2. How's DEEP BASS (5-20 Hz) compared to K553?
3. How's the K7XX bass in comparison?

So basically I'm looking for TIGHT, DEEP BASS, that is louder than on the K553 (which has deep bass but at low volume).

Much appreciated!

Oct 4, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #2 of 10
Do you have a good amp (like Magni 3 or more powerful)? -Get em.

Do you not have an amp or is it weak (FiiO e10k)? -Don't get em

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 10
Bass quality is excellent, but they do need a bit of power (or a decent OTL tube amp).

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #4 of 10
Bass quality is excellent, but they do need a bit of power (or a decent OTL tube amp).
Do you have a good amp (like Magni 3 or more powerful)? -Get em.

Do you not have an amp or is it weak (FiiO e10k)? -Don't get em
Hey I'm planning on using these mostly for music production with existing pro audio gear. I do want an Open style and more deep bass than the K553. I noticed you have a Focusrite Scarlett interface; would the DT880 600s get enough power through them?

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #5 of 10
Hey I'm planning on using these mostly for music production with existing pro audio gear. I do want an Open style and more deep bass than the K553. I noticed you have a Focusrite Scarlett interface; would the DT880 600s get enough power through them?
They're decently sensitive but have really high impedance, but I wouldn't trust the Solo 2 to power them to their full potential. They should sound alright out of the Solo though if you don't feel like spending more money.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #6 of 10
Ok, so in your Gaming audio chain, you only use the Solo as a DAC and Magni 2 is enough to power them? I haven't looked at my pro audio specs but am I wrong to assume most mixers can provide that power?

Oct 4, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #7 of 10
Ok, so in your Gaming audio chain, you only use the Solo as a DAC and Magni 2 is enough to power them? I haven't looked at my pro audio specs but am I wrong to assume most mixers can provide that power?
Magni 3 is out, same price with more power as Magni 2. I'd suggest sticking with the Solo 2 (if you were going to get that) and trying it out. It's not a powerful headphone output though so if you decide you want more dynamics and better sound, go with Magni 3. I use my HD598 with the Solo and I have no gripes with it, but that's also just for strict gaming, I don't care about Hi Res (to an extent) when I'm using those headphones because my LCD2 are my dedicated music headphones

Oct 4, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #8 of 10
Hey guys, I just need a few quick answers for people that have (or used) any of the headphones below:
1. Is this an upgrade from the K553 Pro?
2. How's DEEP BASS (5-20 Hz) compared to K553?
3. How's the K7XX bass in comparison?
So basically I'm looking for TIGHT, DEEP BASS, that is louder than on the K553 (which has deep bass but at low volume).
Much appreciated!
The DT880 do have a nice balanced sound, but they do not have as much bass as the Beyer DT990.
Also the DT880 are a little on the bright side.
The AKG K553 Pro are very easy to drive, while 600-Ohm Beyer headphones need to be used with a decent headphone amplifier to sound their best.

Oct 4, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 10
For audio (music) production (creation, editing, etc), I would think you would want headphones that are neutral and boring (more like the 553 Pro, then the DT880).

Oct 5, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #10 of 10
Less than 2 hours to decide! Hey thanks for the help guys. I'm sticking with the 553s for production and Amperiors for DJing, which is why I wanted a more refined all-purpose home headphone. The main thing I realized I was missing in both of those headphones is deep bass. I want that impact from movies, games, and some genres of music as well as more refined highs. But not muddy like the Sony MDR-1A (listened to my coworker's) or tiresome like on cheaper cans. That said, I'm open to getting a proper amp in the future.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back