connections suggestions
Jun 30, 2011 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kitkat12012

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering if you guys can give me some suggestions regarding how to connect my system together.

I'm planning on buying a pair or Rokit 6s, a Logitech Squeezebox Touch, and a TC Level Pilot volume control.

Now I know I can connect the Rokit 6s to the volume control via xlr.  But I was wondering what would be the best way to connect the Squeezebox to the volume control with minimal quality loss.

If I remember correctly, the Squeezebox has RCA outputs.  Would RCA to xlr be the only way?  If so, any suggestions for a cheap converter?

Thanks

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #2 of 5
I believe Neutrik makes one piece XLR to RCA adapters, you can get them shipped free from Dale Pro Audio, great business.  You just snap those onto your volume unit's input then use whatever RCA cable you'd like to go to the Squeezebox.  However, you're missing a speaker amplifier in there somewhere.  The volume control is a passive one, so are the monitors, and the Squeezebox is simply a source/DAC.  Something has to be powering those speakers.  I suggest speakers --> integrated amplifier --> Squeezebox.

Jul 6, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
I believe Neutrik makes one piece XLR to RCA adapters, you can get them shipped free from Dale Pro Audio, great business.  You just snap those onto your volume unit's input then use whatever RCA cable you'd like to go to the Squeezebox.  However, you're missing a speaker amplifier in there somewhere.  The volume control is a passive one, so are the monitors, and the Squeezebox is simply a source/DAC.  Something has to be powering those speakers.  I suggest speakers --> integrated amplifier --> Squeezebox.

looks good.  I'll try this, thanks

I'm looking at the active Rokit 6s by the way

Jul 7, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #4 of 5
OK then, it should work out with the setup you suggested, just go get those adapters...

Jul 10, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
If I remember correctly, the Squeezebox has RCA outputs.  Would RCA to xlr be the only way?  If so, any suggestions for a cheap converter?

Thanks

As it happens I need a pair of RCA to XLR cables.  I am about to order from Cablestogo:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=2029&sku=40045

Their RCA to XLR cables come in various lengths from 1.5 foot to 50 foot.  The 1.5 foot is $15.99 (for one cable, not a pair).  At the moment I am using cables and adapters that I had on hand but my present connection is not that great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back