Connecting the Shield
May 26, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
Look at how small a set top antenna is for a TV !

Now think of the length of travel of the cord from amp to headphones and back to the amp again if connected wrong !

nice little loop antenna you got there dude !

Hah, true true. I didn't think of the bigger picture and outside RF. That kind of thing being the reason I always ground things at all points just to be safe.

May 26, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Ha, I have 0% shielded interconnects (only 1 set) and have problems with RFI and EMI. But I think it's my headphone cable thats screwing me up cause when I move that it changes the noise coming through. A real pain in the you know what

Surprising man.

most of my system interconnects are pretty much nekked wire (until the transition to fully balanced which is in progress) and to be honest I rarely have had a problem with RF interference.
A lot of it most likely has to do with my operating impedances which are mostly 100 ohm outputs to 10K ohm inputs combined with short runs carefully routed (the prior rant on AC cords).

a possible "cause" is if you have cables too long for the distance between the send and the receive ends and to take up the slack you coil the excess.

May 27, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #18 of 18
Just repaint your house with lead paint. Bam, faraday cage.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back