Jun 22, 2008 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Fetou

100+ Head-Fier
Jun 22, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 9
edit

Jun 22, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fetou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to order an Audio Technica AT-HA25D amp/DAC and use it with my computer as the source.

I currently have an X-Fi XtremeMusic which does not have an optical port. However, there is an ~80 dollar add on panel which connects with an internal cable to the sound card and to a 5.25" panel which goes in a CD drive bay.

However, the X-Fi Xtreme Audio, a far inferior sound card which isn't even made with actual X-Fi technology but is some horrible old Audigy chip, has an optical port built right into it. I can get it for only $50 and then sell my XtremeMusic to pretty much make it an even deal.

Is there any reason NOT to go with the cheaper XtremeAudio solution to be the optical out for my DAC on the HA25D? Is there any processing the cards will still need to do even though their DAC is pretty much bypassed? I play online games competitively but a few FPS is not a huge deal and I don't really care too much about "EAX features" or any of that mess.

Please give me insight into my situation. Thank you.

men, why not using SPDIF coaxial jack? will yield the same results and sound quality as optical....no need to buy extra I/O module...
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolkwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
men, why not using SPDIF coaxial jack? will yield the same results and sound quality as optical....no need to buy extra I/O module...
wink.gif

There is no coaxial either. All I have is analog outputs on an XtremeMusic.

Jun 22, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #5 of 9
I have the extreme music card- I am using the flexjack for coaxial into my dac. One of the jacks is coaxial/ analog switchable.

Jun 22, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by velingara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the extreme music card- I am using the flexjack for coaxial into my dac. One of the jacks is coaxial/ analog switchable.

Wow, just discovered the "Flexijack" which apparently can send out that digital output. What adapter do I need to get a proper coaxial port and what cable do I need to connect it to my HA25d DAC/Amp ?

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by velingara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the flexijack is phono, and your dac is probably rca.

You need an RCA cable and something like this: RCA-Mini Mono adaptor @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

Hmm... Digital Coaxial Audio cable = RCA cable pretty much?

Monster Cable - 8' High-Resolution Digital Coaxial Cable - M1000 DCX-8
Monster Cable - 4' THX Digital Coaxial Cable - U2 I600 DC
Rocketfish™ - 8' Digital Coaxial Cable - RF-G1142

These are all the right kind I think. Any differences? I have a best buy discount so that's why I want to get one from there if possible.

Jun 23, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fetou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... Digital Coaxial Audio cable = RCA cable pretty much?

Monster Cable - 8' High-Resolution Digital Coaxial Cable - M1000 DCX-8
Monster Cable - 4' THX Digital Coaxial Cable - U2 I600 DC
Rocketfish™ - 8' Digital Coaxial Cable - RF-G1142

These are all the right kind I think. Any differences? I have a best buy discount so that's why I want to get one from there if possible.

just use stereo 3.5mm to dual RCA and connect the left channel(usually white color) to thecoaxial RCA terminal....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back