Connecting ATH-M50's to PS3
May 29, 2012 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ecupirate44

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I want to hook my headphones up to my PS3, but I'm not sure how it could work. From what I read, the PS3 will not push audio from the game out of the USB port to the headphones, its only for the mic. The only other thing I can think of is to connect the headphones directly to the TV, but the tv doesn't have a headphone jack or anything like that. I have the PS3 hooked up with an HDMI cord and I have a 3.5mm adapter for the headphones. Any ideas about a set up would be great. Thanks.

May 29, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #2 of 8
Does your TV have an Aux out on the back?  You could use that.  In fact any out in the back would probably work.  If you have a red and white RCA plug on the outs of the TV you can use an RCA to stereo adapter and connect your headphones that way.

This will not harm your TV, but the sound may be a bit low in volume because the outs on a TV are generally amped with a power amp or home receiver.  You may get weak volume levels, but if it is loud enough for you then there is no harm done.

It looks like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B8QUS6/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00005T3GF&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0SB9ZWAXMVWQ1XFYMY00

Plug the red and white connectors of the adapter into your TV and then plug your headphones into the socket end.

You can find one at a local store for sure they are pretty common.

May 31, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #3 of 8
IF your TV has RCA (red/white output), do this:

RCA male to 3.5mm male

To

To your M50s. This method is simpler and will allow you to use your headphones for anything connected to the TV.

IF you don't have RCA outs on the TV, the other solution is a female RCA to male 3.5mm cable in addition to something like the Fiio E5 or E6. That's one of the cheapest methods of connecting the M50s to a ps3 properly.

Connect this (which comes with your PS3, which I hope you saved, don't worry about the yellow one being unused):

To:

To:

=

PS3 analog output > RCA female to 3.5mm cable > FiiO E5 > Audio-Technica ATH-M50

The E5 can be had for around $20. The adapter cables are very cheap online, and about $5-10 at Radioshack if you wanna buy local.

Oh yes, make sure if you're doing the second method, to set your PS3 to do multi audio out, so it sends audio to all connections.

May 31, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 8
1. You could buy a cheap audio
Optical cable.

2. Plug the audio optical cable to the back of the ps3.

3. Then plug the optical cable into a fiio e17 or something similar.

4. Plug you ath m50's into the e17's headphone jack.

5. Change the settings of the fiio to optical.

6. Change the ps3 audio settings to optical.

I did this exact thing so It works :).

May 31, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #5 of 8
The E17 is quite expensive, and if OP was gonna spend that much, I'd direct him to the Astro Mixamp which is much better for the purpose of gaming. I mentioned the cheapest, yet solid method for using his M50s with his PS3.

May 31, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #6 of 8
Just providing an alternative to the situation. I am fairly new to this so I was explaining how I dealt with my exact same situation.

Hope your not mad :p

May 31, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #7 of 8
lol, no. I was just pretty sure OP was looking for a quick, simple solution. Who knows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back