Connecting a Yamaha YHT1840 System to a PC
May 7, 2018 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

WhiteW0lf

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone! I'm new here on the forum and I got word of it from a friend that everyone here is pretty good at helping beginners such as me! =D
The problem at hand is as follows:
I have a full Surround 5.1 Yamaha YHT1840 System lying around and I wish to connect it to my PC for movie viewing and gaming.

Could anyone help me with the connections from the system to the motherboard?
400161-2.jpg
ed36716e97f3f91d48dced0ddd8741ce.jpg

Thank you beforehand! =)

May 7, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 9
Run an HDMI cable from the PC's graphics card to the HDMI input jack on the Yamaha, then run an HDMI cable from the Yamaha to your computer monitor (screen).
Assuming the Yamaha has an option to set the PC graphics to pass thru the Yamaha (while the Yamaha processes the audio).

Or run an optical cable (S/PDIF) from the PC to the Yamaha and just run the HDMI (or Dual link DVI-D?) straight from the PC to the computer monitor.
Unless you PC comes with DDL (Dolby Digital Live) software or DTS-Connect software, you will only get stereo audio (2.0) thru the optical.
DDL & DTS-Connect and encode/compress up to 5.1 (6-channels) of digial audio, for passing thru optical and the Yamaha can decode/un-compress the audio
A low cost sound card, Asus Xonar DG or DGX, will come with DDL.

HDMI can pass up to 8-channels of 24-bit/192K audio (without the need of encoding/compresson)
While S/PDIF (optical/coaxial) will pass the 6-channels up to a max of 24-bit/48K (using encoding/compression)

Oct 24, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 9
hello WhiteW0lf
I am thinking to buy Yamaha yht1840. Is it worth buying? I want to use it by PC HDMI. Can we connect our monitor to AV for PC display. Please reply me sure.I am waiting eagerly.
Hardev2000@gmail.com

You can use an HDMI cable to connect the PC to the Yamaha, then run HDMI from the Yamaha to the computer (or TV) monitor.

Oct 25, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 9
1-Is this home theater sounds good?
2-Do I think for anything else.
What is your review about yamaha yht 1840?

For the kind of cash ($600) that the Yamaha YST-1840 HtiB (Home Theater in a Box) costs.
You coud do better buying a refurbished A/V receiver ($350?) from Accessories 4 less.
https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...vers/1.html?r=5bd148e4&store_price[]=270-3000
And somes 5.1 speakers ($280) at Monoprice
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=120&cp_id=12012&cs_id=1090601&p_id=33832&seq=1&format=2

The Yamaha YST-1840 comes with a low end Yamaha A/V receiver, my guess it's a receiver itself would sell for around $200.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #8 of 9
I from India. it cant shipped here.
well I made up my mind to buy 1840.
am I wrong about my decision?
Can't say there is really anything wrong with the YST-1840, as my current and previoius A/V receivers are both Yamahas.
What is the price of the YST-1840?

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #9 of 9
Hi,

I got one of these as a direct replacement for the previous version. There is nothing wrong with the previous version except its max resolution pass through is 1080p and this one is 4k pass through.

For general use it would be fine, however I bought it for use with an xbox X series at the heart of my entertainment system. If all I was going to use it for was streaming services, Blu ray and DVDs then it would have been great, however it caps the 4k framerate at 60hz and cannot handle the 4k 120hz the X series is capable of for gaming.

Unfortunately for me this was a bit of a deal breaker so am having to return it in preference for an amp that can handle next gen console pass through. Though at this moment in time (July 2021) there is a problem with amplifiers of all makes with the HDMI 21 socket/board not being able to handle 4k 120hz passthough either, so no telling when an adequate replacement for this will be available.

For a full home theatre system just for tv/movies you could do a lot worse than one of these but if your intention is to move to next gen gaming then maybe look elsewhere.

As mentioned this was a replacement for the previous model that I used with a pc for years with great sound and no problems at all and was a shame I had to replace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back