Mar 17, 2020 at 5:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cmrheadphones

Head-Fier
Hello all,

Whats the best way to do this?

Connect the amp to a recording output?

Any advice appreciated!

Mar 17, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #2 of 12
Yup, that would be the best way, and it should give you a nice line-level output to your headphone amp! :relaxed:

Mar 18, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 12
Hello all, What's the best way to do this? Connect the amp to a recording output? Any advice appreciated!
I would say the RCA jacks marked 1.

Mar 19, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #4 of 12
Yup, that would be the best way, and it should give you a nice line-level output to your headphone amp! :relaxed:
Many thanks for responding just need to consider what to buy now!

Mar 19, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 12
Many thanks for responding just need to consider what to buy now!
What is the make and model of your headphones?
I would assume the Yamaha's headphone jack would be fine for headphones in the 100-Ohm to 250-Ohm range.

Mar 20, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #6 of 12
What is the make and model of your headphones?
I would assume the Yamaha's headphone jack would be fine for headphones in the 100-Ohm to 250-Ohm range.
Currently in use on the amp are Behringer BH470's (not high end) I've read the amp's headphone out quality is not the best so was trying to improve.

Feb 15, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #7 of 12
I don't want to create a new thread for this but it's related to AS501 so hope I can ask! I have tried twice to connect my Dac (SMSL M200) to the AS501 and it doesn't seem to recognize it. I have tried 2x2 RCA cables (into Stereo/Photo ports) and 2x1 RCA cable (into Digital Coax) and I can't get any sound, the colour on the front of the amp board stays orange which makes me think it's not even recognizing it as a source. Any help would be appreciate I am £40 deep into cables right now that aren't working😢

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-02-15 at 13.22.28 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-02-15 at 13.22.28 (1).jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-02-15 at 13.22.28 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-02-15 at 13.22.28 (2).jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-02-15 at 13.22.28.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-02-15 at 13.22.28.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 0
Feb 17, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #9 of 12
I don't want to create a new thread for this but it's related to AS501 so hope I can ask! I have tried twice to connect my Dac (SMSL M200) to the AS501 and it doesn't seem to recognize it. I have tried 2x2 RCA cables (into Stereo/Photo ports) and 2x1 RCA cable (into Digital Coax) and I can't get any sound, the colour on the front of the amp board stays orange which makes me think it's not even recognizing it as a source. Any help would be appreciate I am £40 deep into cables right now that aren't working😢

Analogue inputs like phono won't have lights to indicate it is receiving a signal. It is analogue; plain and simple. The light will just be to confirm what input is selected.

Your method of using a phono to double phono cable (some do call them RCA too, but the more general term is phono cable) won't work. As you are coming from an analogue output on your M200 to a digital input as labeled on your AS-501. You will need an expensive analogue to digital converter for this to work and you don't even need it that to get sound.

Your other method should work now I have seen the picture. Just want to check everything including incredibly basic things.

What is your input device? You said M200 bluetooth in the other thread. Is this the only input method you use?

Do you know for certain that your M200 is receiving this signal?

When you use the Phono to Phono cable (which is the correct method), have you certainly selected the CD source input on your AS-501?

Have you tried many other inputs such as the 3 line inputs (not the two labeled record, they are an output for recording what is going into that input)

The digital inputs on most devices do have a light that glows or changes colour when it receives a signal and I think your AS-501 would also do this if it got fed a digital signal. But your M200 only has Analogue outputs.

Simple methods to confirm things are working would be to briefly use an incredibly basic and common cable (3.5mm to phono cable) and use your phone/tablet/music player to your AS-501 and test the inputs to confirm that this amplifier works. Or even a 3.5mm to phono female adapter to put on the end of your twin phono to phono cable to test if that cable is faulty.

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #10 of 12
Analogue inputs like phono won't have lights to indicate it is receiving a signal. It is analogue; plain and simple. The light will just be to confirm what input is selected.

Your method of using a phono to double phono cable (some do call them RCA too, but the more general term is phono cable) won't work. As you are coming from an analogue output on your M200 to a digital input as labeled on your AS-501. You will need an expensive analogue to digital converter for this to work and you don't even need it that to get sound.

Your other method should work now I have seen the picture. Just want to check everything including incredibly basic things.

What is your input device? You said M200 bluetooth in the other thread. Is this the only input method you use? Yes, it is connect to my phone and showing bitrate and i have voume turned up on phone and playing music

Do you know for certain that your M200 is receiving this signal? Yes

When you use the Phono to Phono cable (which is the correct method), have you certainly selected the CD source input on your AS-501? Yes, as you can imagine i tried all of them at this point

Have you tried many other inputs such as the 3 line inputs (not the two labeled record, they are an output for recording what is going into that input) Yes

The digital inputs on most devices do have a light that glows or changes colour when it receives a signal and I think your AS-501 would also do this if it got fed a digital signal. But your M200 only has Analogue outputs.

Simple methods to confirm things are working would be to briefly use an incredibly basic and common cable (3.5mm to phono cable) and use your phone/tablet/music player to your AS-501 and test the inputs to confirm that this amplifier works. Or even a 3.5mm to phono female adapter to put on the end of your twin phono to phono cable to test if that cable is faulty. thank-you i just ordered the correct jack adaptor for the front of the amp so i can test this out- there is no 3.5mm at the back i can use to do this test

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #11 of 12

I'm again a bit puzzled by what you mean. What are you needing to test the headphone output at the front of the AMP for? Don't you have speakers as your speaker cable implies? What is this "correct jack adapter for the front of the amp" you have bought? The front of the amplifier is a headphone output that is 6.3mm - not 3.5mm. And this will output exactly the same signal as your speakers. The headphone socket on this amplifier won't shut off the speaker outputs unless you switch the selector to off. Just checking another incredibly basic thing, do you have the dial selecting speakers A?

I don't see any outputs on the front of the M200, so I can only assume you mean the AS-501.

Don't want to sound like I'm telling you what to, but from some of the pictures you have sent and wording you have used, it does sound like you need to know a bit more before buying all these extra things. If I'd known before that you were going to try the D03K or a single to twin phono cable, I could have said that neither are a suitable method.

Can you confirm what this adapter you have ordered is? If it is a 3.5mm to twin phono, then you will be able to to test your AS-501 from the output of something like a phone/music player or tablet. But if it is 6.3mm and you intended it to to go to this port at the front, then that won't work as that is an output.

I'll also note that it makes it a lot easier replying under a quote as it looks strange me and you quoting our own messages that wasn't how they were originally written. It also took me a while to work out that it wasn't just a quote of what I said with no reply.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #12 of 12
Sorry! I just managed to get to a solution, my Huaweii P20 Pro is the problem. I tried connecting with my wifes iphone and macbook and music plays. Weird because the M200 shows it's connected, shows the correct Bitrate but something is not working amidst this. I will email SMSL about this issue, maybe software related but I am so happy I can hear music and this crazy issue is resolved. Thanks for all your help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back